Down deep...things to remember

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are unforseen things that are just unavoidable.......regardless of depth.

What about a down current. I'm happily diving at 30 meters with my buddy, well within recreational limits. Suddenly a down current takes us to 50 meters. We are now facing an unplanned deco dive. I think I would be very happy with an extra bottle hanging under the boat.

PeCeDiver:
Well, at least we still have a chance with the hanging tank.
You don't say where you are. If you are in open water with less than 20' viz, what are your chances of actually finding the boat with the hanging tank before you surface? In your scenario, a few minutes of extra deco at 20' or less should not use up more than a few cubic feet. I hope you saved enough back gas for contingencies before you were suddenly swept uncontrollably into the abyss and farther away from the boat?? Or were you counting on getting back to that hanging tank to take care of any such issues?

PeCeDiver:
Well, at least we still have a chance with the hanging tank.
It is your scenario... and you can imagine anything you like.

You can imagine that not only is the hang tank there for you... but you will be there too when you need it.

Scenarios are like that.

DeepSeaDan:
I just can't buy into this philosophy U.P.

You can plan to take "all the gas you'll need for the dive" & still come up short if Murphy gets into the mix & mucks about. For all the effort it takes to hang a bottle, I see it as just one more way to make things a little safer.

As to generating wrong thinking? I don't get it. If you carry all the gas you'll need & dive your plan, all should be ducky & you'll never have a lost gas / low gas issue - right? However, if your plan goes for a crap because that substance can infect the best laid plans of the best of us, well then a hang bottle might just prove useful.

Those who can't get the hang bottle concept as being a resource for emergency use only should take up a non-self contained dependent sport, I reckon.

Best,
D.S.D.

Exactly the point I made.

I suppose it is a bad idea to have fire extinguishers hanging on the wall in an office building because doing so psychologically effects the way workers think about fire. They should strap a fire extinguisher to their back instead, because they can't guarantee they will be able to get to where the fire extinguisher is hanging.

boomx5:
How many people here who are advocating a "hang tank" actually hang one? Are you just arguing, or do you insist that there is one every time you go diving?

We hang several tanks every dive, on several different lines, with multiple second stages. We dive multi-redundant (our back-ups have back-ps) and NEVER intentionally deviate from the dive plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom