Doulbles on a cruiser

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just my observations I have a 20' Cuddy with just enough deck space behind the cockpit for two-three divers. However when we're diving doubles the deck space gets filled up fast. On a rolling sea it gets down right dangerous. I can only imagine how dangerous a cruiser would be. Let alone getting back on it.

Personally if I lived up in Washington state I would get a C-Dory, Parker or a small trawler. Getting out of the elements is key. Parkers and C-Dorys have a lot of deck space and cabin space. I think you need to leave the cruiser models and move to a utility style i.e. Dory or trawler. Cuddys are ok but again they have limited deck space. That cruiser you are looking at is going to take allot of modifing to become a utility tech dive platform. Nice if you are tooling around the bay/sound or lake ...but with deco bottles, doubles, gear and such not enough deck space. If something goes south on you while diving you need deck space for first aid, CPR, and O2 administration.

Also the design of a cruiser lends itself to allot of CO gas build up when the canvas is up. After a long dive the last thing you need is CO. But hey I bet the wife digs the cruiser, and sometimes that's all that matters.

The C-dory's are very nice, but their weight capacity leaves something to be desired. IMO, the compromising between pretty sun boat and dive boat is huge, essentially a deal breaker. All that vinyl seating will be trashed in no time. And anything substantial enough to hold even 2 sets of 130s in a seaway is a major mod to the deck plan.

The Maxum at least has a decent deadrise at 17deg. I can't find out what the 25ft C-dory has, but all of their smaller models have pretty flat sterns.

I'd be looking for a GradyWhite if my budget could take it, or a Parker or Trophy. The compromises between a real fishing boat and a dive boat are alot more do-able.

Oh yea keep in mind that the vinyl seats will be holding sharp tank bands, mounting hardware for backplates, etc... the edges of plastic tank boots are sharp if you use them. 130's are very heavy with a small surface area to weigh ratio, most like to indent the seats. Just a thought.

Even on the commercial, built-to-take-a-beating boats down here, 4 sets of twinned 130's leave their mark. I have seen bulkheads take some nice shots. Buy the most open cockpit you can find and get some righteous gear benches made for it. Some heavy matting for the deck will help too. No matter how careful you are, you're going to get a good tank slam with those babies.

vbcoachchris:
I will have most of the exposed fiberglass sprayed with white line-x for scratch resistance

Skip the Line-X. Put rubber matting on the deck (I like Dri-Dek), and order a jar of
color matched patch from Spectrum once a year to patch the scratches you get.

Or just buy an aluminum boat and ignore the fiberglass issues altogether.

Aluminum dents and corrodes, fiberglass cracks and crushes. Glass is more easily repaired, dented aluminum stays dented or punctured. Aluminum boats are hot as h--l on the water. I suppose painted a white or light color they may not be but the unpainted aluminum boats I have been on, not many, get really hot to the touch. They are also noisy.

I doubt the OP returns with his choice. Boats, cars, diving equipment whatever--lol--people make a choice and then post it seeking validation, when they don't get the answers they want to hear they go elsewhere seeking an agreeable opinion, human nature, we all do it.

N

rjack321:
The C-dory's are very nice, but their weight capacity leaves something to be desired. IMO, the compromising between pretty sun boat and dive boat is huge, essentially a deal breaker. All that vinyl seating will be trashed in no time. And anything substantial enough to hold even 2 sets of 130s in a seaway is a major mod to the deck plan.

The Maxum at least has a decent deadrise at 17deg. I can't find out what the 25ft C-dory has, but all of their smaller models have pretty flat sterns.

I'd be looking for a GradyWhite if my budget could take it, or a Parker or Trophy. The compromises between a real fishing boat and a dive boat are alot more do-able.

Too funny C-Dory came up in this thread. I am researching my next boat and the C-25 is at the top of my list so far. The hull is a semi-dory so there's a V at the front and flat at the stern. There are advantages and disadvantages to every design for sure. I have been on the C-25 at a boat show but not yet afloat. Ride before you buy of course. Lot's of things affect ride...weight of vessel...hull design of course...etc. A higher V will weigh more (comparing similar lengths) because of the HP required to push a high V on plane, and planing speed will be faster, etc. A flat stern will plane slower and with les HP, etc., etc.

Where did you find load carrying capacities for the C-Dory? It's not listed on their website.

--Matt

Well the 25fter is longer than the USCG requires capacity plates on. So that may or may not exist.

I looked into a 19fter last year and got the spec sheets from the factory (local for me). The capacity was on those. Something like 900-1000lbs as I recall. Once you put the motor on you're down to 750 and that not much for people and dive gear.

I would definately agree the the C-dory is probably a better choice than the Maxum as a diveable boat.

As far as aluminum being too hot, that's true - in some climates, not mine here in the PNW. We generally like aluminum because we have almost zero beaches and being able to beach a boat on a pebble shore is nice. Also way better if you hit a deadhead (log floating vertically in the water with the top bobbing up and down). Those punch holes in fiberglass boats big time.

What motor are you going to put on a 19' C-dory that weighs 150-250 pounds? The
90 HP carbed 2-stroke on my 16' 7" whaler weights 327 pounds, and that's about as
light as a 90 gets.

C-dory does make some nice boats. One thing I've noticed is that they are very likely
to have the wife/GF along on the fishing trip, on every other brand it's highly unlikely.
There's a message there, though I'm not sure what it is. Maybe that they aren't
fast macho boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom