1st Timer Trip Report April 13-22, Tres Pelicanos/Hotel Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve also never been “bothered” by the car transport that 3Ps offers. On the way back, they drop us off in front of our hotel so no walking! When we dove with them off a cruise ship, they dropped us off in front of the cruise ship entrance. Plus, walking to their shop for the departure transport from our hotel is just as far as walking to the town pier for boat pickup. So I guess my point is, I’m not sure why some people think this is less convenient than being picked up by boat downtown. I guess to each his own.

Breakfast across the street seemed to be based on occupancy during my Feb trip this year. It had been at the beach club the previous trip & the tunnel was closed & being renovated but this year (we arrived Jan 28) breakfasts were in the same location as dinner until much closer to when Carnaval started. They were still at the Beach club restaurant when we left (Feb 17) & that was a very busy time for the Hotel. Having breakfast at the Beach Club adds a lot of work for the staff because the kitchen that prepares the majority of the food is in the main building & everything has to be carted over to the Restaurant as needed.

Thank you. Most excellent report!

I forgot to answer your question about a good photo editing program. Do a Google search for Picasa & download it (assuming you're on a PC). Google has stopped supporting it but unless you wanted to use it as a RAW editor (which it's very poor at) everything else it offers is still very useful. I have used it for many years along with the full version of Photoshop (my RAW editor) but do most of my editing & file downsizing in Picasa. These screen captures show the most important sets of tools & after you do edits EXPORT (near the bottom) to a new album at either full resolution of at 1600 pixels for web sharing, emails etc. I always create a new set of photos from the master set by exporting the photos I intend to edit & then re export after the edits. Never work on the original files.
Picasa 3 4282018 125530 PM.jpg
Picasa 3 4282018 125538 PM.jpg
Picasa 3 4282018 125546 PM.jpg

For those thinking about getting a camera for diving I highly recommend picking one that shoots in RAW because you have a lot more latitude in what you can do to the photos while editing. The photo in my screen captures is the as shot jpg version and this is the finished edit to the RAW file & I have less than a minute of editing time to get to this stage. If I were to make a big print I may spend another 5 minutes tweaking colours & saturation etc.
33079832165_9d08ca9f55_o.jpg

Thanks for all the replies about transfer time.

We rented a 4-speed convertible bug ahead of time from ISIS Rentadora for the entire week (and for one day from the PDC branch) due to recommendations from the Tripadvisor forum. Mixed reviews here, on one hand they were very friendly and hassle free on the service side, but the car itself was an adventure in itself. This bug had to have at least a million miles on it. It was the scariest thing I’ve driven in my life due to the brakes, no working seat belts, holes in the floor, 20 degrees of play in the steering, very strong smell of gasoline, and extremely stiff gas pedal. These cars are just plain worn out. It was fun after a few days of getting used to it, until it rained hard and we realized water shoots up through the floorboard holes every time you drove through a puddle. Later in the week the headlights stopped working at night so we had to waste a couple of hours trading it in for a different car. We didn’t want to wait for it to be fixed at the mechanic so we had to settle for the other available car which was a hardtop beetle.

OMG. LMAO. My wife and I laughed so hard at this. We rented a car from ISIS and loved the experience also. Our car was not the newest either, but I guess was not in as bad of shape as the one you got. But for the price, service, included insurance, etc., I would use her again.

OMG. LMAO. My wife and I laughed so hard at this. We rented a car from ISIS and loved the experience also. Our car was not the newest either, but I guess was not in as bad of shape as the one you got. But for the price, service, included insurance, etc., I would use her again.
Years ago a friend of mine and I went to one of the car rental places. We were on the cheap, so we picked out a VW with a fiberglass body because it was the cheapest. I drove, and the first time I started up from a dead stop my friend did a slow backroll into the back of the car, car seat and all. We took it back and got a real car.

I was looking through some of my pictures from this trip and was wondering if someone could identify a few things for me. These were all taken at night while snorkeling and I was having some fogging/lighting issues.

Is this conch eating an urchin?
P4210673.JPG

Is this some kind of slug? Couldn't get a good pic due to surge and my housing fogging up...
P4210712.JPG

Some kind of worm? Saw quite a few of them out and about at night... they had tentacles coming out of their mouths that they would feel around with then occasionally retract.
P4210669.JPG

P4210684.JPG

Back
Top Bottom