Doubling Up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does one need any special training/certification to dive doubles?

I have a tenancy to breathe down an AL80 pretty quickly, so to keep up (actually down) with my buddies the obvious answer is "bring more air." Doubles will probably be the next big move for me, so what does one need to know before making the switch?

My bank account isn't quite there yet, but soon, soon...

Thanks!

Why not try a steel 120? You don't have to carry as much lead on your belt.... and you get more air....

There is no required certification for diving doubles. The best thing you can go is to find some dive buddies that have experience diving doubles to give you tips on setting them up, how the valves work, adjusting trim etc. That was the best thing I could've done. I'm by no means the most experienced doubles diver out there, but I have been diving doubles for over a year now, and would be happy to dive with you and show you what I've learned so far. I'm about an hour drive from Waterloo, and I'm always looking to go diving.

Jim

Also I have 2 sets of doubles that you could try out and see what you think before you drop a pile of cash on a set.

Thanks Jimmer, I may just take you up on that offer... I still need to stop by a little shop in St. Catharins (I'm sure you know where I mean) to spend some mone... er... invest in a bp/wing before I take on the doubles.

As long as the wife and kid let me I'm always game for a dive, so keep me in the loop if you're planning anything!

ACR-

If your profile is accurate, you have fewer than 25 dives. You'll probably find that as you gain some more experience, your gas supply will last much longer. If your only reason for going to doubles is more gas, I'd suggest you wait a little while longer.

-Nick

Well say hi to the boys in St Kitts for me :). I'll likely be taking my NAUI Intro to Tech with them very soon, then Tech 1 in the spring if Matt feels I'm ready. Good call on getting used to the BP/W with a single tank first, it made my transition easier. I'm sure the boys in St Kitts can get you anything you need, but I am doing my DM with a shop local to me, so if there is anything specific you're looking for, let me know and I'll see if I can help out. Also my LDS runs charters in Erie during the summer, and the guy's from St Kitts have been known to show up and take over our charter boat once in a while.

Let me know how their Into to Tech is...
That's on my list behind EAN, Rescue and a half dozen others :)

Man, do I need to win the lottery :)

ACR-

If your profile is accurate, you have fewer than 25 dives. You'll probably find that as you gain some more experience, your gas supply will last much longer. If your only reason for going to doubles is more gas, I'd suggest you wait a little while longer.

-Nick
I second that... doubles are not the answer.

You'll probably find that as you gain some more experience, your gas supply will last much longer.

Thanks Nick, and yep, that's the plan. I'm going to try to get a few dozen more dives in before I consider any major gear/style changes...

That actually brings up an interesting question though;

What kind of an improvement in gas consumption did you see between your OW and dive 50 or more? Was there a major change in your fitness level during that time?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom