Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, 2 130's would weigh 86# plus 21# for air and maybe 10# for the manifold and regs. Total 117#. There's no way in the world I could hump that from the parking lot, across the beach and through the surf! I'll leave this for younger people. If I did a face plant on exit, I would never be able to get up!

That, and your buddy has to have a similar configuration. Good luck with that! Not everybody wants to hump that much weight.

Richard

Not to mention if you need double 130s you probably also have at least a bottle or two and maybe a scooter.

Yah, they're primarily boat diving tanks.

Not to mention if you need double 130s you probably also have at least a bottle or two and maybe a scooter.

Not necessarily ... although in this picture I'm wearing double 119's ... which aren't a heck of a lot lighter.

snowdivinbob.jpg

Double 130's are probably more popular here than any other size doubles ... and we do an awful lot of shore diving in Puget Sound. Of course, it can get crazy-deep in a hurry, and there are things worth seeing not too far off shore (especially with a scooter).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not necessarily ... although in this picture I'm wearing double 119's

Did you need them (e.g. were you doing a dive that required 38CF more than double 100s, for example)?

My suggestion is that if a profile requires 260CF of backgas, it's likely a stage deco dive.

I guess (like DA Aquamaster mentioned above) maybe you're doing multiple dives on the same set of doubles.

Did you need them (e.g. were you doing a dive that required 38CF more than double 100s, for example)?

On that dive? No ... but on a lot of my dives anything smaller wouldn't be adequate.

I used to own a set of 119's and a set of 100's. Loved the 100's because they were so much lighter. But the two sets trim so differently that I decided the trade-off of having to adjust to my rig every time I switched from one set to another wasn't worth the advantage of having one lighter set. So I traded the 100's straight up for a second set of 119's.

Personally, I don't find the weight all that inconvenient ... and I'm a 57 year old fat dude. So I really don't think weight's all that much of a concern. I prefer the familiarity and feeling of being really dialed-in every time I get in the water

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Double 130s, bottle, scooter seems to be the LJ Shores combo each time I meet those guys. Not the most fun walk across the beach, but surprisingly better than you'd imagine.

Big boat, with a ladder that has nicely spaced rungs. :cool2:

On recreational boats with wider ladder spacing or RIBs, 119s/130s really suck. Despite having a RIB, a set of 85s, a set of 100s, and one set of 119s...

I'm considering some 108s or 130s for bigger dives. I can do 190-200ft on the 85s/100s but if my consumption is a bit "off" for whatever reason I start to need to cut the dive short. 220ft I can't do on the 85s/100s (well not the BT I want).

used to own a set of 119's and a set of 100's. Loved the 100's because they were so much lighter. But the two sets trim so differently that I decided the trade-off of having to adjust to my rig every time I switched from one set to another wasn't worth the advantage of having one lighter set. So I traded the 100's straight up for a second set of 119's.

So recall my post: "if you need double 130s you probably also have at least a bottle"

There's a difference between a dive requiring 240-260CF of backgas and a diver making an independent decision to dive big tanks for topside considerations.

You didn't need double 119s, you just happened to have them :D

Double 130s, bottle, scooter seems to be the LJ Shores combo each time I meet those guys. Not the most fun walk across the beach, but surprisingly better than you'd imagine.

Makes me think of what comedian/sports commentator Joe Rogan once said of mixed martial arts legend Matt Hughes...

So recall my post: "if you need double 130s you probably also have at least a bottle"
And a drysuit heater :D

Makes me think of what comedian/sports commentator Joe Rogan once said of mixed martial arts legend Matt Hughes...

Fitness is an important part of diving :blinking:

if you face planted, at least you would have enough gas to wait for low tide, then someone can pull you out :wink:

What if it's already low tide? Then what?:dork2:

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom