Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering about doubles. I'm Just OW. But Al80's just ant cutting It. I dive around 40' to 50' and I'm not a airhog. But I diving For long periods at a time. The max if got at 40' was 58 min cold water 46*. I'm wanting to stay for my max on the RDP. I was thing about Doubles I've been told by my LDS to get a Independent Regulator Set-up, But I was wanting something More like The solid Bar manifolds form US divers Or something.Like the ones with J-values?

I know the dangers of diving so don't tell me not to do It.....

Aside from your friends and relatives, nobody really cares what you do, although you should know that with less than 24 dives you do not "know the dangers of diving".

I'm also not sure what the fascination is with "maxing out the RDP". In fact, if you actually did understand the dangers of diving you would know that the no-deco limit is not a number, it's a fuzzy area that varies between different divers, different conditions and even the same diver on different days.

Terry

Thanks crpntr133 But I don't know more then yell because I would be asking :) I'll defiantly have someone teach me the value drill. I guess my passion to go tech is to yearly but most people around here dive tech even if the ant diving bellow Recreational limits. and this has always inspires me.

You welcome! Sorry for being a butt but it seemed that you already had your mind made up without really thinking this through. An intro to tech class can teach you a lot.

There are certainly ways to increase your available gas supply to a large degree, without having to go to doubles. A single HP130 has as much gas, when full, as my double 72s, and can be used with a traditional BC (does not require a backplate and wing).

Doubles bring the gift of redundancy (two independent first stages, two independent valves) but at the cost of more o-rings and fittings and thus more failure points. If you aren't able to shut your valves quickly and efficiently, you don't gain much with doubles, and you may actually be losing a little safety. Doubles are unwelcome on some charters, and most recreational divers won't have a clue how to help you if you have a leak. Doubles are also heavy and cumbersome to move around on land, or to hike into the water if you can't park nearby for a shore dive.

If you actually have as few dives as indicated on your profile, I'd highly recommend investing in a couple of big single tanks and diving them for a while, before moving to doubles. If most of your diving is long, relatively shallow dives, the redundancy of doubles (useful when you HAVE to solve problems underwater) is less attractive, and the simplicity (and lower cost) of large single tanks is probably overall a better solution.

Yup, I miss reading scuba board.

If you've got 24 dives that is 20 after your training dives. If you dive every weekend that would mean you've been certified since January or February.

Take it easy, gain some experience and if your dying to max some bottom time get a 130. When you get yourself all sorted then think about doubles. I rushed out and got doubles early on and they still aren't doing me much good. Without proper training your just can't use them properly.

I've been told by my LDS to get a Independent Regulator Set-up, But I was wanting something More like The solid Bar manifolds form US divers ?
Interesting question. My impression is that most people who dive doubles start out with doubles connected with an isolator manifold. There are pros and cons to each, but I am not sure there is a clear best and worst. Both approaches involve procedures to enhance safety / minimize risk. Both involve a slightly greater exposure to equipment failure (two regs, etc) but that is minimal. I started with manifolded doubles, which I thoroughly enjoy. But, I have recently begun diving independent doubles (sidemount), which offers a certain element of convenience and flexibility, plus I don't have to worry about a manifold / isolator valve failure, and I can dive different size tanks if the need arose (not that I would necessarily want to). I wouldn't rule out independent doubles, either banded back-mount or side-mount, as an option.
Or something.Like the ones with J-values
I am not sure I understand this comment, in the context of your question about doubles.
I was wondering about doubles. I'm Just OW. But Al80's just ant cutting It. I dive around 40' to 50' and I'm not a airhog. But I diving For long periods at a time. The max if got at 40' was 58 min cold water 46*. I'm wanting to stay for my max on the RDP.
As several posters have mentioned, one alternative is a large(r) single tank, such as a HP130 - great tank. (Having said that, I confess that my favorite rig is a set of manifolded double AL80s.) And, while the words of caution about gaining experience are certainly reasonable, there really isn't a reason that you cannot start diving doubles early on, with appropriate training. You don't have to stay down until you reach 500 psi on your tanks, but you have the option of staying a little longer if you wish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom