doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanick

Contributor
Reaction score
aight
ive got a question or really want info on diving doubles
not sure where to post this so i figured this would be a place to start
what are some of the "problems" that would be associated with diving doubles
i dont mean like people exceeding their NDL i can see how easy that would be to do
i have already ordered my b/p wing (oms 100# bungied wing,ss b/p and comfort harness,sta) i have heard from people complain about having problems getting adusted to doubles like not being able to control themselves in the water
i will be using the STA for a lil while to have some time on the wing and
i all i have for tanks at the moment are AL80s
and info and or advice welcome

scubanick:
aight
i dont mean like people exceeding their NDL i can see how easy that would be to do
i have already ordered my b/p wing (oms 100# bungied wing,ss b/p and comfort harness,sta) i have heard from people complain about having problems getting adusted to doubles like not being able to control themselves in the water

Nick,

Where to begin?

Let me see if I understand. You have 100lb doubles wing that you plan to get "used to" at first by using a single tank and a STA.

The wing is way to big even for doubles. With a single you are going to be very challenged by the 100 lbs wing. It will wrap the tank, trap gas slosh air around etc. If you expect the "bungies" to make a 100 lb wing perform like a 30 lb single wing you will be disappointed.

My advice is to try and find a local diver or group that is currently doing the type of dives that you aspire to and get some hands on help.

Regards,

Tobin

I'm with Tobin on this one. Look for a local mentor and talk to them in person. Look at their rig. Try for a cave or wreck penetration certified diver as these divers concentrate on superior skills in doubles. You NEED to know and understand about valve drills and some of the dangers of doubles. It is not rocket science but it is more of a challenge than a single aluminum 80.

Wrap your head around the idea that with steel doubles and NO extra weight you will be negatively bouyant by several pounds when you hit the water if you don't put air in your wing before jumping in, you will have no weight to release to stay at the surface in an emergency.

Look for a mentor here on ScubaBoard in the appropriate club or state wide group.

Mark Vlahos

First a 60#wing would be more than enough. You need iosolation manifold, 2 really good regs, prefferable a 7ft hose on one of them. Muli gas computer and bottom timer. AND A REALLY GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF THE DECO TABLES. Lots of practice. Good luck

Hardy Sieck:
First a 60#wing would be more than enough. You need iosolation manifold, 2 really good regs, prefferable a 7ft hose on one of them. Muli gas computer and bottom timer. AND A REALLY GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF THE DECO TABLES. Lots of practice. Good luck

Why does he need a multi gas computer and bottom timer and deco tables he could just be doing rec diving with doubles.

You can dive that rig no problem with singles I did it for a year its not ideal but it works. The mentor is a good idea you can learn alot from people especailly here on scubaboard just take it with a grain of salt. Of course the best teacher is experience so just get out there and dive and dont spend all your time on SB posting about others when you yourself dont dive.

Cheers AC

DO NOT use a doubles wing on a single tank!!!

And DO NOT use 100lb wing on ANY tanks, even doubles!!

You are setting yourself up for some major difficulties and a giant CF by using totally the wrong gear.

You CANNOT get a more inappropriate wing for an Al80 than some 100lb doubles wing!

scubanick:
aight

Hey Scubanick

Doubles are great, I have been diving them for 10 years; both twin 100HP gennies and 120's, best tanks in my opinon.

If you are going to make the leap into doubles, it does take getting used to, prmarily the weight and saftey factor; valve drills. Before getting in OW, I would practice in a quarry or controled environment and get confortable.

You can run into issues if you double AL 80's, if you run them to low. 100lb bungie wing, used it for a couple a years, thought it was great until I switched to 65lb unbungies wing.....WOW night and day difference. The bungie wing (in my experience and opinon) had WAY too much drag.

In a nut shell....Get a 65lb unbungied wing with either HP or LP manifolded (isolation) together and practice. Again I have been diving doubled for over 10 years.

Hope this helps :)

Greg

jonnythan:

You are setting yourself up for some major difficulties and a giant CF by using totally the wrong gear.

You CANNOT get a more inappropriate wing for an Al80 than some 100lb doubles wing!

WOW! so i guess those 150 dives I did with that setup was totally wrong eh geeze I guess i might as well stop diving now cuz of my bungee wing or the boots on my tank

scubanick:
aight
I dive double 80s with a steel backplate and wetsuit and have no problems. I am too negative with a wetsuit and steel doubles for my taste.

My first dives with a BP and wing were with doubles. It was quite a while before I built an STA so I could get rid of my jacket type BC.

The extra weight on the boat and the extra mass underwater will take a little getting used to. The extra width was never an issue for me.

I use a 45 pound wing, which is a bit much. When I finally kill that wing, it will be replaced by a 40 pound wing. I expect you will find that 100 pound wing is way too large for anything you intend to do.

jonnythan:

Im just wondering, do you tell divers what to do because your on the scubaboard staff or do you think you know everthing because you have almost 200 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom