Doubles recommendations for a small framed women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beto and Don are both top notch instructors, and exceptionally nice people. You can't go wrong with either. (or both in some cases) :)

Yeah Casey,

I agree - I'm pretty darn lucky to have them both & all of you as a supportive community :)!

That's interesting, Allison . . . For me, the 72s we have (which are all very old tanks) trim out horribly.

In what way are they horrible? They are definitely more head heavy than the 85s, just because they are shorter, so the center of gravity on them is higher on your body. But the buoyancy characteristics are pretty similar, so like the 85s, you can put a lot of weight lower to counteract this.

Kathy, if you want to check out a set of 72s, feel free to borrow mine. Or for that matter, if you just want to compare land weights/comfort, we have LP85s, HP100s, LP72s, and Al80s (Ted's) in the garage all filled with 32% if you want to walk around the neighborhood in each set and see what you think :p Allison

Thanks Allison,

Sounds like an exciting garage :). I really appreciate the offer. I have access to 85's & 100's which I'll try first, but the 72's and 80's could be interesting. I'll probably be in touch when I feel ready to sample :).

I have head-down issues as well, and I've found that I can wear my weight belt hoodlum-style, low across my hips, which significantly shifts the center of gravity back towards my legs.

Well...

Women have hips most of the time. Guys not so much. Wearing 20lbs gangsta style is a recipe for it to slip north to a woman's actual waist and then it hangs loose. Not so good.

A tail weight is better, the longer the tanks - the lower the tail weight and more overall mass you can move south. Its harder of the shoulders and spine than a weight belt tho.

Wearing 20lbs gangsta style is a recipe for it to slip north to a woman's actual waist and then it hangs loose. Not so good.

A tail weight is better, the longer the tanks - the lower the tail weight and more overall mass you can move south. Its harder of the shoulders and spine than a weight belt tho.

A 20lb belt would be a huge pain no matter what you did with it. Mine's 8-10lb, and that's used with a 6+lb tail weight that's been custom cut to the bottom of my tanks.

But I think I'll just take all that weight, put 2lb in my drysuit pockets, 4lb in my undergarment pockets, 4lb in ankle weights and 4lb as lead inserts in the jetfins and call it a day :D

Well, I use a 20 lb weight belt with the 72s, as well as my Jets, and it's not enough -- I'm still terribly head-heavy and have to fin constantly. With the 85s, I use 17 lbs, with 5 or six on my back and the rest on a belt, and I trim out absolutely stable. The 100s behave the same way. With 95s and Florida exposure protection, I need six pounds, and it has to be a tail weight -- then I balance well. With 80's and Mexico exposure protection, it's six pounds off the bottom bolt. The only tanks I just can't get right are the 72s, because unless I put weights in my pockets, I just can't get enough weight low to counteract how heavy they are in front. Bob Sherwood spent an hour and a half playing with my gear to see if he could do it, and concluded the tanks just aren't for me!

I would have guessed LP85s from various observations over the last couple of years.

Good luck.

LP85's are great little tanks. I've got several sets and have standardized on them for most of my diving. Also have a set of HP100's as well. It's easier (and faster) to get decent fills on the LP85's.
Definitely try out a set of LP85's with a proper... ahem... 3500 psi fill :blinking:

I own and dive three sets Faber LP85s and I think they are the perfect tank for up to 30 minutes in the 150' to 200' range. Great trim and buoyancy characteristics.

I have come to the conclusion that LP 85's are really the best choice for me.

For your height HP100 should be great tanks. Or LP85 - I think they are a bit longer. There are also OMS/Faber ? 66 which should also work

I have a couple sets of faber 85's and they are my favorite doubles.

Tobin

I think we have consensus, double Faber LP 85s ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing is, I got 72s because they are very similar to 85s, only about 1/4 the price and I don't need that much air for my local diving. They have almost the same diameter and empty buoyancy, just about 2" shorter. I trim out fine in my 72s, with an AL plate and no lead in a 3mil, maybe 4 lbs in pockets in my 5 mil.

I'm going to have to find someone with a set of 85s locally and compare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom