Double pony bottle mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For some reason, sitting on the bottom of the harbor doesn't seem even mildly interesting, regardless of who the charity is, and it seems like a fairly dangerous stunt in a lot of ways, including drowning and various infections and poisonings that might not be easy to treat.

In case the OP hasn't noticed, Boston Harbor sits right next to Boston. Both the city and the vessels discharge and leak many things that would be really awful to come into contact with or drink or inhale, especially on a 48 hour dive.

There's no way I'd do anything to encourage this stunt including donating money, and I'd be really surprised if the local authorities actually approve this.

Terry
Although the harbor used to be really really dirty, in recent year a ton of progress has been made and after discussions with local PSDs and other experts we have decided that the water quality poses no significant health risk to myself or any of the support divers.

Time for a reality check.
As already mentioned, this is very worrying, not interesting, to sponsors.
Think it through for a moment:

You are a teenager. If something goes wrong the public will severely chastise the sponsors who encouraged you; "what were they thinking, didn't they know better!!!" Balance the risk of this BIG negative (plus the impending lawsuit) against the mediocre positive that might come from sponsoring a basically ho hum stunt. You are not achieving something "against all odds", you are conducting an experiment in moderate range endurance for no other sake than endurance itself (pretty boring actually). Who are the sponsors target market.. Divers. What diver will look at what you are doing and say "man, that guy just sat on his ass in 15ft. of water for 2 days... ohhh I gotta get me some of what he's got".

So far you have been getting a lot of criticism but most is buffered by a recognition that you are young and at least motivated, but...
If your fellow divers are reacting negatively, and your plan for non divers is to basically dupe them because they are too stupid to know better, what is worthy about what you are trying to achieve. A venture that employs smoke and mirrors? Didn't Bushes invasion based on WMD's teach you anything?
You may be surprised to find that most people (non divers and media included) aren't really that "dumb" and will react quite negatively when they realise you treated them as if they were. The only one being naive is you.
And again with the perfect answers... How did the PSD's and "experts" determine that the boston harbour water posed no threat to your health. What tests were performed, which labs did the analysis, who picked up the bill?

Last edited:
WRT to sponsors I run a shop less than 20 miles from the proposed stunt site. I was never contacted in any way to solicit my sponsorship (good thing since it would not have been forthcoming). I agree that this is not a good plan. My earlier post about scheduling was meant more as an illustration that the initial plan was flawed than a recommendation of how to procede.

I'm a highschool student with 20 logged dives and I can still tell that the OP is waay in over his head (not literally b/c 15' is nothing). Maybe he should take a giant leap back and spend some time persuing more managable goals. I should mention however, that as someone who is pretty familiar with the harbor, I can't really identify any signifigant health risks that could result from poor water quality but I'm no expert.

There is no reason to fear this "stunt" will get out of hand because there is no reason to think anyone will be absent minded enough to sponsor it.

It simply will not happen.

No media, no gear sponsor nor any local dive shop will pay any ammount to watch this Attention ***** try to drown himself.

And even if he were to get his parents to pay most of the freight (which I imagine he will), the end results would be the same. Nothing.

Because sitting on the bottom of a still body of water is hardly worthwhile.

Join the Navy

Although I am not personally responsible for the site and its contents, I believe it has been proofread and would welcome any errors that you noticed.

If you are absolving yourself from the responsibilities of the extensive misspellings, grammatical errors and overall content of your website (assigning those mistakes to your "underlings") I have to assume you have even less knowledge of dive planning.

Keep to your fish-tank. They need you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom