Double pony bottle mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's why I think it's not the best of ideas. I like the concept of helping a good charity, but damn... that long in the water with a sketchy plan isn't my idea of a good time.

I admire a sense of adventure and youthful zeal as much as the next guy but I have to say it always makes me a bit suspicious when every perceived problem has been, or will be, remedied by the "perfect" solution. In the real world problems arise that we actually have to struggle with. A statement like "damn, I hadn't thought of that - gonna need some duct tape" would go a long way to building some believability. The more believable your project is, the more likely it is someone might sign on to it.

I also think you have chosen to link two lofty goals together without thinking things through (your own wishful thinking doesn't count here). Having unbridled enthusiasm only really works when it is married to a workable plan.
You have to objectively consider what is so appealing about someone sitting on their butt under 15ft. of water for hrs. How will this propel the public to donate enough money to justify the outlay in donated equipment and time. Look here and at your website to see what you are asking for in man hours and equipment. I've been involved in several mountaineering/wilderness expeditions and the human resources alone you are thinking of assembling and coordinating boggles the mind (that many egos all in one place :eek:).

You also might want to get some counseling regarding liability issues surrounding the lending of equipment by companies or commercial divers to a minor proposing such a risky venture. In the litigious USA I would worry that their "implied" endorsement leaves a sponsor open to lawsuit. If a laid back canuck is thinking this, the potential sponsors are probably thinking it too.

I'm not trying to quash your obvious desire to do something "big" but at your age several smaller, more manageable goals might be of more benefit. Usually it is the ego that wants to "go big" against reasonable objections so think long and hard about your motivation. The first thing a good (safe) diver should get rid of is his/her ego.

Or, you might pull the whole thing off and prove me wrong. It wouldn't be the first time!
Good luck with your dreams either way.

I've been following your other posts as well. I wish you well on your attempt. You should make some prep dives of 2, 4 and 6 hours before you finally go for it. This will help you discover what you need that you haven't thought of yet.

Something that is not clear - why are you taking a BC? You're anyway going to be boyant with your drysuit and it's not like you're going anywhere. Or are you planning to swim around?

Instead of using slates etc. to blog, perhaps you can try an iPhone in an OtterBox. I know OtterBox isn't rated for scuba, but it is rated for swimming. And 15 feet isn't exactly scuba. So would be worth contacting them and see if have something that can help you. This will also help with your boredom and you can probably attract additional sponsors that way.

You could probably also try submerging a WiFi antenna in a bag tethered with power and ethernet to the surface (please submerge the 9v DC, not the AC...). But you'll have to get within about 3 inches of it to work. Maybe that's too geeky. Sounds like something I would try :).

Not to bust your balls but I think people would be more interested in your project if it were more about the cause in question and less about you. From your site I see no connection to any real charity. Instead you come across as obsessed with finding "support divers" and media recognition for an endeavour that (while seeming interesting on paper) is really not that difficult while underwater.

The real reason no one has tried this before is because it is so mundane a task.

48 hours in a dry suit breathing off a reg is a human work of nothing more than boredom.

From your previous posts you have betrayed a total lack of understanding of the physics and logistics of this dive. Sitting on the bottom at 15 fsw will require no BC, no more than a few cubic cm of dry suit gas (at that) and the idea that you need a pony bottle as a bail out is laughable. (yet you asked for advice how to mount TWO)

To be honest if you are really looking for sponsors you might try the folks at Spare Air. The project you are attempting might be the first good use if that product. IE: an "escape" from 15fsw while un-encumbered.

I do admire your enthusiasm and gusto but perhaps something more beneficial to the undersea world and less connected to your desire for record holding would be a boon to our planet?

Exactly which charities are you supporting? Marine Conservation is pretty broad.
We are in discussion with a couple of different organizations and the proceeds of the dive will likely benefit several different charities. When the recipients are finalized they will be posted on our website.

I think instead of dive masters they should hire proofreaders.

The sheer number of spelling and grammatical errors on that site makes me fear this is not being planned very well at all.
Although I am not personally responsible for the site and its contents, I believe it has been proofread and would welcome any errors that you noticed.

Uhhh... At the bottom of the page it says "site design by Matthew Haber creatives." Which is the other website where you claim to be an award winning web designer.
A good diver takes responsibility and doesn't "pass it on" to somebody else.

Nobody really believes you are as well put together as you claim to be so why don't you come down to earth with the rest of us and engage others in a realistic and meaningful discussion. May be you will get some actual help that way.

Damn you people are HARD on the kid. I like it. But I can think of a lot WORSE things a teenager might be investing his time in.

I agree with most of the criticism. You've put the cart before the horse.

You need to demonstrate that you are working toward a worthy goal (i.e, raising money for one (or two) easily identified charities whose integrity can be verified by a third party)

Then you have to figure out WHY your STUNT is interesting or worthy of anyone's interest.

Then you need to figure out roughly how to do the stunt.

Then you need to formulate a list of necessary resources .........(having 4 fully suited standby divers at the dock 24 hrs per day for 2 days is ridiculous)

Insisting on the use of a pony bottle to inflate your BC is also ridiculous etc. etc.

You need to demonstrate that you are working toward a worthy goal (i.e, raising money for one (or two) easily identified charities whose integrity can be verified by a third party)

Then you have to figure out WHY your STUNT is interesting or worthy of anyone's interest.

For some reason, sitting on the bottom of the harbor doesn't seem even mildly interesting, regardless of who the charity is, and it seems like a fairly dangerous stunt in a lot of ways, including drowning and various infections and poisonings that might not be easy to treat.

In case the OP hasn't noticed, Boston Harbor sits right next to Boston. Both the city and the vessels discharge and leak many things that would be really awful to come into contact with or drink or inhale, especially on a 48 hour dive.

There's no way I'd do anything to encourage this stunt including donating money, and I'd be really surprised if the local authorities actually approve this.

Terry

Damn you people are HARD on the kid. I like it. But I can think of a lot WORSE things a teenager might be investing his time in.

I agree with most of the criticism. You've put the cart before the horse.

Then you need to figure out roughly how to do the stunt.

Then you need to formulate a list of necessary resources .........(having 4 fully suited standby divers at the dock 24 hrs per day for 2 days is ridiculous)

Insisting on the use of a pony bottle to inflate your BC is also ridiculous etc. etc.
This is interesting to sponsors because it is unique and will get lots of media coverage and it is interesting to the media because it's a kid setting a world record "against all odds" and also becasue non-divers (eg the people who the media is trying to appeal to) think divers are really cool. Also, we are not asking for rescue divers at a time, we are asking for rescue divers total. They will switch off in shifts throughout the dive. As far as equipment goes, I am balancing the my needs (what equipment is actually necissary) and sponsor/publicists needs (lots of equipment covered with logos to look complicated on camera). I have talked to several people who acknowledge that while pony bottles aren't needed, non-divers in their cozy living rooms want to see tanks and pony bottles take care of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom