Double pony bottle mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For my 48 hour dive, my main tanks for breathing are going to come down, be used, and then brought back up when empty. This means that I don't need them on my back but it also means that I need something to inflate my drysuit and bc and to serve as a bailout bottle. I plan to use a 30 cf and a 19cf, one for air (bc and bailout) and one for argon (drysuit). My bc will be a BP+W so basically any mounting set up is fair game. Does anybody have a suggestion for ways to mount both bottles. I was thinking maybe those travel bands folks use for independent doubles sometimes. Thanks.

You're not going to be neutral and therefore don't need a BC to compensate for buoyancy changes.

In fact, you don't need to mount the tank to anything. Just strap enough weights to it so it doesn't float away, and you can sit on the bottom in your lawn chair.

While this is an interesting mental exercise, I think it's a really bad idea and can't imagine who would actually pay for you to do this or why you would agree to it.

Terry

After looking at your website I honestly think you are NOT ready for this attempt.You don't seem to be asking for any Medical personel to volunteer ,you haven't researched the physiological and medical ramifications of basically being weightless and submerged in SALT water for 48 hours ,the volunteers you are asking for just lists a "C-Card" rating and NOT any actual experience. How are you going to ingest fluids and nutrition and how are you going to expel them?

I Highley recommend you reconsider this until you have spoken to medical and dive experts in this field.

After looking at your website I honestly think you are NOT ready for this attempt.You don't seem to be asking for any Medical personel to volunteer ,you haven't researched the physiological and medical ramifications of basically being weightless and submerged in SALT water for 48 hours ,the volunteers you are asking for just lists a "C-Card" rating and NOT any actual experience. How are you going to ingest fluids and nutrition and how are you going to expel them?

I Highley recommend you reconsider this until you have spoken to medical and dive experts in this field.
I haven't asked for any medical personel other then rescue divers to volunteer becasue I am getting them through channels other than my web site. There will be an ambulance on site at all times as well as a doctor who is experienced in hyperbaric and diver medical issues. I have spoken to several medical and dive experts already including some who have completed dives in fresh water for much longer periods of time than 48 hours. I am working with a dietician to create a diet for several days before the dive which will get rid of the need to expel solid waste and liquid waste will be through a conventional pee-valve. I will be able to drink hot and cold fluids from insulated hydration pouches (like what bikers and backpackers use). More solid food will be provided by energy gels in pouches that are easy to use underwater.

You're not going to be neutral and therefore don't need a BC to compensate for buoyancy changes.

In fact, you don't need to mount the tank to anything. Just strap enough weights to it so it doesn't float away, and you can sit on the bottom in your lawn chair.

While this is an interesting mental exercise, I think it's a really bad idea and can't imagine who would actually pay for you to do this or why you would agree to it.

Terry
The people who pay for this are sponsors who want the publicity. I'm just doing it cause I can't refuse a really big challenge.

I am sure you will follow through on the pre-planning. I know from experience I can eat underwater so you should be able to take on fluids. Why dont you get a surface supply...would save alot of hassle.

Good luck with your goal...and stay focused.

If crap hits the fan........swim up!!...its 15'

O

What kind of suit and under garmets are you planning to wear? Are you going to use anykind of heated vest?

Hello Matthew,

Good luck with your charitable event. I have a suggestion or two I hope you will find helpful. Others have suggested to use surface supplied gear rather than tanks. I have to second that vote. As long as you are going to have an umbilical, I have to suggest for you to beg, borrow or steal an exposure suit used in commercial diving known as a "how water suit." It is basically a wetsuit with tubes running through it and warm water is pumped down a hose from the surface. Usually a commercial diving umbilical also has a communications cable run along with it. My choice of mask/head cover would be a "dry hat" like a Kirby Morgan Superlite. You may be able to borrow the entire system from a commercial diving operation or perhaps there is commercial diving school in your area willing to loan and operate it top side for you.

One thing you want to guard against is boredom...not only for you, but for your audience. You may want to fabricate some sort of underwater board game where your opponent is a breath holding diver who skilled in chess, backgammon, go, etc but would be handicapped by his/her ability to free dive.

Please get plenty of practice with what ever diving system you choose prior to your event.

Stay safe,

couv

What kind of suit and under garmets are you planning to wear? Are you going to use anykind of heated vest?
Drysuit with several layers of thick undergarments. Additionally, I will use double drysuit heaters for redundancy and extra warmth when needed

Hello Matthew,

Good luck with your charitable event. I have a suggestion or two I hope you will find helpful. Others have suggested to use surface supplied gear rather than tanks. I have to second that vote. As long as you are going to have an umbilical, I have to suggest for you to beg, borrow or steal an exposure suit used in commercial diving known as a "how water suit." It is basically a wetsuit with tubes running through it and warm water is pumped down a hose from the surface. Usually a commercial diving umbilical also has a communications cable run along with it. My choice of mask/head cover would be a "dry hat" like a Kirby Morgan Superlite. You may be able to borrow the entire system from a commercial diving operation or perhaps there is commercial diving school in your area willing to loan and operate it top side for you.

One thing you want to guard against is boredom...not only for you, but for your audience. You may want to fabricate some sort of underwater board game where your opponent is a breath holding diver who skilled in chess, backgammon, go, etc but would be handicapped by his/her ability to free dive.

Please get plenty of practice with what ever diving system you choose prior to your event.

Stay safe,

couv
I have considered both surface supply and hot water suits but either would disqualify my dive from being the record for longest ocean dive. I do know, however, that I will need an active source of heat so double drysuit heaters with wet connect batteries will be used. I like the idea of a board game. I had thought of my own boredom and am going to use a music player designed for diving but honestly I hadn't really considered the boredom of my audience. A boardgame would be ideal because there will be an underwater camera for people to watch the dive on and this could also allow them to watch a game of chess etc.

If you are going to sling your breathing air, I would just use two of the same size bottles for air and argon and mount them to your backpack like a small set of doubles. Would look better to those watching. You could use travel bands or make up something from SS hoseclamps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom