Double Hose regulators- Have you seen anyone diving them?

Have you seen anyone diving a double hose regulator in the last 10 years?

• yes

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • no

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • yes, I dive one

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • no but I would like to try one

Votes: 12 14.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Serious question coming from someone who doesn't have a clue....

What is it about double hose regulators that makes you want to dive with them? I assume there is a hint of nostalgia that would be a legitimate part of it, kind of like driving a 1953 MG around. I would indeed like to have that driving experience from time to time, but I would not like it to be my primary transportation. What else is it about the double hose regulator that makes you like diving it?

What is it about double hose regulators that makes you want to dive with them? I assume there is a hint of nostalgia that would be a legitimate part of it, kind of like driving a 1953 MG around. I would indeed like to have that driving experience from time to time, but I would not like it to be my primary transportation. What else is it about the double hose regulator that makes you like diving it?

Having the bubbles out back is one of them. It means a lot to photographers and even as a diver I can get significantly closer, face to face with fish

I find that the air volume between the mouth piece and the the second stage acts as a buffer and feels less mechanically delivered, more natural. The recent advancements in VDH components are icing on the cake.

Sometimes it adds to that rock star moment when you are getting out of the water and beach goers want to know what you saw, why you dive and is that a rebreather?

And personally I am one of those people that enjoys taking someting old and making it new again.

Pete

In addition to what Pete said, I find them more comfortable. If the hoses and reg are properly set up, the mouthpiece just lays in your mouth and with equal (hose) pressure on both sides I don't get the pulling that goes with a single hose reg. Granted, it's a suttle difference but there. The lack of bubbles moving past your face and ears is very noticable, I find them a good bit quiter. A lot of the "issues" that divers had with them stem from the poor quality of the components of years gone by and the lack of understanding of the reg itself. Unlike a single hose reg, DH regs do require attention to placement and diver position. With the improvements that have been made in the last few years and the growing group of experienced DH divers, the regs are getting better and better.

I once heard that they breathe differently depending upon your angle in the water. Any truth?

I once heard that they breathe differently depending upon your angle in the water. Any truth?

Yes, the reason being that the 2nd stage diaphragm and the lungs can be at different pressure depths depending on body position. When horizontal face down the 2nd stage diaphragm is above the lungs by several inches in a lower pressure zone and inhalation is harder. If you are horizontal face up the diaphragm is now below the lungs in a higher pressure area and inhalation is easier or even forced.

Because a single hose regulator mostly positions the diaphragm at lung level when horizontal face up or down there is some but very little change in breathing effort. Vertical is the hardest breathing position with a single hose because the diaphragm is several inches above the lungs.

The just as any muscle strengthens with use the muscles used in breathing adapt quickly to the slightly increased breathing effort of the double hose.

Would the average recreational diver diving at 40-60' even notice the difference? I know that on the new regulators I often see comments saying the average recreational diver would no notice the difference in performance of the less expensive regulators when compared to the more expensive high performance regulators. I would like to try one, I would even be interested in buying one of the new ones that some SB posters are putting together. Just curious.
Yes, the reason being that the 2nd stage diaphragm and the lungs can be at different pressure depths depending on body position. When horizontal face down the 2nd stage diaphragm is above the lungs by several inches in a lower pressure zone and inhalation is harder. If you are horizontal face up the diaphragm is now below the lungs in a higher pressure area and inhalation is easier or even forced.

Because a single hose regulator mostly positions the diaphragm at lung level when horizontal face up or down there is some but very little change in breathing effort. Vertical is the hardest breathing position with a single hose because the diaphragm is several inches above the lungs.

The just as any muscle strengthens with use the muscles used in breathing adapt quickly to the slightly increased breathing effort of the double hose.

Adding to what Capitan said.

You can't screw up a single hose, you stuff it your mouth and if you are in good trim it works really well. You can't misplace the second stage diaphragm. Go vertical either way and there is a perceptible difference in WOB.

With a double hose the correct position down the back is quite contrary to what a single hose diver is accustomed to and the raised center design of most backplates is very much to the detriment. Ideally the regulator "can" is against your back to best correlate to the position of your lungs in the water column. The Freedom (if rigged right) and VDH plates work well. The VDH plate was optimized for DH use. My old Sherwood Avid did quite well too.

---------- Post added May 25th, 2013 at 08:50 PM ----------

Would the average recreational diver diving at 40-60' even notice the difference? I know that on the new regulators I often see comments saying the average recreational diver would no notice the difference in performance of the less expensive regulators when compared to the more expensive high performance regulators. I would like to try one, I would even be interested in buying one of the new ones that some SB posters are putting together. Just curious.

That or less is my average depth and yes, it's especially nice there. In the shallows where your air lasts and lasts. The mouthpiece sump will tend to have a little water in it and it is the ultimate no dry mouth set-up.

One other big advantage is the massive diaphragm. It has a big mechanical advantage in converting your demand into air delivery.

Pete

Properly set up, the difference can be fairly pronounced. Face down in the normal diving position they breath normally, go head up vertical or on your side and the reg will get very easy to breath from, depending on setup almost positive. Go on your back and the reg will freeflow or head down vertial and it will get a little harder to breath from. Once you get use to the way they respone you really don't pay much attention to it. The one place it becomes a real PITA is at the surface, DH regs are prone to freeflow unless you take measures to prevent them....the solution is simple, don't stay on the surface. :)

Then I think I would like to try one, hell I think it would be pretty cool. Hopefully the folks putting one together with the latest technology will com through. I think it sounds great! However, my all metal second seems to have pretty much cured the dry mouth problem. I think I would like to get up closer to the fish for photography purposes.

Double hose regulators are:

1. Quieter (two stage types)
2. Smoother
3. No bubbles exploding in your ears
4. Better for approaching wildlife
5. Better for photography because the bubbles do not obscure vision and (4) because they do not scare the fish
6. No weight on the jaw and mouth
7. Less prone to freezing
8. Dry mouth not an issue

All regulators are position sensitive, double hose are different, opposite in some ways of single hose.

The Phoenix and soon to be Argonaut exceed the performance of all but the very best single stage regulators.

It is not nostalgia for me, I feel they are better at the types of diving I do than equivalent single hose regulators.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom