Double Hose regulators- Have you seen anyone diving them?

Have you seen anyone diving a double hose regulator in the last 10 years?

• yes

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • no

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • yes, I dive one

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • no but I would like to try one

Votes: 12 14.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to dive a double hose sometimes, but only in a wetsuit and without a BC. For me that's half the appeal of vintage diving. It's just so light and streamlined and simple in comparison to diving with modern gear. I still prefer to use an SPG though. I've dove with just a J-valve and knowing how much air you have is just better period.

The regulators themselves are just different. In some ways they're better, (you can get closer to fish), and some ways they aren't. In general they do breathe harder. I tune my DH's down to about 1/2" cracking pressure, but once you get underwater that regulator is now well above the level of your lungs, so you have to suck harder to get air. On the other hand, exhalation is very easy and if you roll on your back things will be reversed. At that point the reg will want to free flow into your mouth and exhaling will require some real effort. You can even kind of rock side to side as you swim to ease the work of breathing.

Herman now you've got me wanting a vintage rig.. Dammit. Goes well with the truck and cars I drive anyway and looks like fun.

Herman now you've got me wanting a vintage rig.. Dammit. Goes well with the truck and cars I drive anyway and looks like fun.

Getting one to your could be difficult, lets see, how far are you away from one (make that closer to a dozen) ......2 blocks maybe. :)
I am likely going to be at the DU cookout on Sat...as always I will have 3 or 4 with me.

Back in '06 I was doing my AOW aboard a boat out of Destin, FL which also had a bunch of Vintage divers (my instructor called them "Antique" divers). They had double hose & other odd stuff--the Mike Nelson roundee masks. One guy with double hose, horse collar and no BC said he dives solo from shore a lot. He enjoys freaking people out when he's walking back out of the water--says it's like they're seeing some alien creature.

Nemrod

Getting one to your could be difficult, lets see, how far are you away from one (make that closer to a dozen) ......2 blocks maybe. :)
I am likely going to be at the DU cookout on Sat...as always I will have 3 or 4 with me.

He does bring a few, I can vouch for that!!
icosm14.gif

I'd live to dive one this weekend Herman ill bring a wetsuit in addition to my usual kit

Back in '06 I was doing my AOW aboard a boat out of Destin, FL which also had a bunch of Vintage divers (my instructor called them "Antique" divers). They had double hose & other odd stuff--the Mike Nelson roundee masks. One guy with double hose, horse collar and no BC said he dives solo from shore a lot. He enjoys freaking people out when he's walking back out of the water--says it's like they're seeing some alien creature.

Hmmmmm. I wonder?

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2013 at 07:36 PM ----------

You are blowing my cover. As long as DIR thinks I am not real their world is all safe, warm and fuzzy and full of order, jzzzz guys, roll over on me huh :wink:.

N

i sleep with a da aquamaster...

Back
Top Bottom