Double Hose regulators- Have you seen anyone diving them?

Have you seen anyone diving a double hose regulator in the last 10 years?

• yes

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • no

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • yes, I dive one

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • no but I would like to try one

Votes: 12 14.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are blowing my cover. As long as DIR thinks I am not real their world is all safe, warm and fuzzy and full of order, jzzzz guys, roll over on me huh :wink:.

N

I couldn't express Nemrod in writing in the way Seinfeld would say "Newman"

I couldn't express Nemrod in writing in the way Seinfeld would say "Newman"

In the universe there must be an ebb and flow, a good and bad, darkness and light, and if there be bad guys in black, then there must be superheroes in twin hose to combat them.

IMG_2865.jpg

Never fear for Nemrod is here. :)

What's next a poll on big, sharp, pointy knives?

N

Statistics on scubaboard will be a bit skewed.

I dive one locally when I shore dive and 99% of my tropical warm water diving is with a double hose regulator. I still cling to my "technical" setup for deeper or technical dives but I have full confidence in diving my double hose regs at those depths.

LOL.
I got a kick out of this.
Mind if I use it as a sig line?
...Full credit to you of course.

If you like it then it is yours. It might be a bit of an exaggeration, but, what the heck, just having fun :wink:.

On topic, aside from participating in and hanging out with a bunch of antique scuba equipment geezers on occasion, :dork2:, aside from myself, since about 1976, I have never seen anybody use a double hose other than myself. In 1966 and 1968 and 1972 when I was taking various scuba courses, particularly in the 66 class, there were double hose regulators used in the curriculum and students had to use them and students had to know how to clear, doff and don, buddy breath and all that with a double hose to pass the course. By 74 they were being thrown away and really, past about 76, I do not recall another diver using them. That was a Bicentennial dive I participated in and there was another diver in double hose, he was like 80, I was still a baby. We buddied up and I could not imagine being so old and still being a diver.

N

If you like it then it is yours. It might be a bit of an exaggeration, but, what the heck, just having fun :wink:.

On topic, aside from participating in and hanging out with a bunch of antique scuba equipment geezers on occasion, :dork2:, aside from myself, since about 1976, I have never seen anybody use a double hose other than myself. In 1966 and 1968 and 1972 when I was taking various scuba courses, particularly in the 66 class, there were double hose regulators used in the curriculum and students had to use them and students had to know how to clear, doff and don, buddy breath and all that with a double hose to pass the course. By 74 they were being thrown away and really, past about 76, I do not recall another diver using them. That was a Bicentennial dive I participated in and there was another diver in double hose, he was like 80, I was still a baby. We buddied up and I could not imagine being so old and still being a diver.

N

Exactly why I started the thread Nem. I am a good bit newer to diving than you, I started in 92. Besides vintage events or other gathering where I know other DH divers are going to be there, I have only seen one other person diving a DH....that was Henry several years ago which is how we met. As many DHs as I see sold on ebay and the number of Phoenixes sold, I would think we would see a few more being dove.

Exactly why I started the thread Nem. I am a good bit newer to diving than you, I started in 92. Besides vintage events or other gathering where I know other DH divers are going to be there, I have only seen one other person diving a DH....that was Henry several years ago which is how we met. As many DHs as I see sold on ebay and the number of Phoenixes sold, I would think we would see a few more being dove.

Most of those are being hoarded (collected) and rarely if ever are they being used for diving. And, while the vintage community has grown considerably, particularly those who actually dive with double hose, we are still a tiny, probably a fraction of a percentage, among the general scuba population.

When I was aboard a well known boat out of WPB this past summer, the skipper, who had been driving dive boats since the beginning commented that mine was the only double hose regulator he had seen in use since the 70s. Most people think I am diving a rebreahter, seriously, I guess they do not notice the bubbles, :wink:.

I did not use a double hose myself from around 1984 until I think it was 2002. The main reason was I had no hoses and the tabs had been bitten from my mouthpieces. I was digging through my stuff and out fell my old Mistral and then the quest for parts. Whilst researching having hoses and mouthpieces made or finding something that could be used, I eventually came upon VSS a few years later when the hose manufacture I was talking to just happened to mention that important bit of info to me. Between them and Reb's Parts I was fixed up and ceased researching hose manufacturing.

In fact, it was 84, we were staying at the Pier 66 because I got a company discount there. We contracted a private charter, just me and my wife. The boat, a custom sport fisher, with a nice captain and his TWO girlfriends picked us up. They sunbathed, we dove and the skipper drove and dove. He was a retired Navy guy in his late forties, guided us all over for the whole week. He specifically mentioned that he had not seen a double hose in years and made a big deal of it and even used it on a couple of dives trading out with me his equipment, which was a Hawaiian backpack and some old crusty Conshelf. No, he did not have a BC, but he did have a pet moray. I did not have a BC or a pet moray (or two girlfriends for that matter :wink:).

N

I said no, but I would like to try one.

I have never seen a DH reg. Let alone someone diving one, only pictures. But then I have only seen 1 person diving with a BP/W. Lots of back inflates, a few jacket BC's and 0 double hose regs.

Although I a bit older then Nemrod our lifetime diving histories follow the same general path. I began in 1957 with a double hose and dived them until the early 70's when service parts became a problem. I switched to a Conshelf and later a Scubapro MK-IV. My first true BC was the Nemrod with the self contained inhalator tank similar to the Fenzy which eliminated the need for a regulator supplied inflation hose. For 30 years my double hose regulators sat in the closet until about 2003 when I discovered that there was a small contingent of divers interested in double hose regulators and some replacement hoses were being made. Now my single hose regulators have been relegated to the closet and I am back to using my two hoses exclusively.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom