DOT Temporarily allowing fills in Out of Hydro Cylinders due to COVID 19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh.. well I don't know what to think about it really. Given those facts it doesn't sound dangerous. If some bottles like ASTM are never tested then why are others required to be tested?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Isn't this very dangerous? Especially considering it seems to be aimed at oxygen cylinders.

If not then... maybe the testing (and especially VIP) rules really are as much BS as some folks claim.
I'm sure it is going to cost a lot of lives.

Huh.. well I don't know what to think about it really. Given those facts it doesn't sound dangerous. If some bottles like ASTM are never tested then why are others required to be tested?
Because ASTM vessels are built like tanks to handle a large amount of corrosion before they are even close to failing. And in some applications they are far too large to fill with water and put into another vessel for hydro testing. If you could even remove it from the installation in the first place - like the air tanks inside a submarine. You couldn't walk with a 100cf ASTM cylinder on your back (and your BC wouldn't float you either)

Propane cylinders are only inspected and tested every 12 years. Star cylinders every 10 years, ASTM cylinders and vessels are never hydrotested. Scuba cylinders every 5 years. Carbon fiber SCBAs every 3 years (with 15 year lifespan). Different cylinders have different testing regimes because they are built differently, have different lives in service, and there are different consequences should one fail.

Back
Top Bottom