DOT Tank Condemnation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got my $50 voucher in the mail from Luxfer from their 6351 alloy buyback program. The program is only good till Dec 31 but the voucher is good for 18 months from the date of issue. $50 off a new tank is a nice discount! If anybody needs the number for Luxfer to get a "Returned Goods" number, let me know.

Which doesnt matter now, as the buyback program is over.
grunzster:
Yeah except it cost about $20 to ship the tank back!

Yeah, but if enough people ***** and moan, they may bring it back. There are still a ton of them out there.

As for me, I'll ebay the valves and scrap the tanks, or just sell the tanks, but be one of the few who actually says in my listing that it's made from the bad alloy.

Has anyone here actually had any of the Luxfer 6351 tanks fail the eddy test? I have two which are over 15 years old with more than 2000 fill cycles each, and they passed their eddy test fine.

Just curious to see. I know some in South Africa have recently failed, but the numbers seem very low, like less than 0.1%.

When we had the shop we had lots that failed.

At the university we lost half of our tanks to the eddy test when the recall started. I remember the instructor in charge of the tank exchange saying Luxfer, at that time, was exchanging the tanks for new ones and you only paid a small amount per tank. That offer was why we went ahead and switched them out, later Luxfer went with the voucher offer. We just replaced the rest of our tanks in that category using the voucher offer even though the tanks passed eddy current. No point in taking chances since we fill those things ourselves in a VERY small area.
Ber

The owner of the dive shop I work with also does hydro testing and did 13,000 tanks last year.

I am not sure how many of these tanks required an eddy current test or how many other tanks had an eddy current test as part of an annual VIP rather than hydro test, but in the average year he will have 3 or 4 tanks either fail the eddy current test or have a visible crack in the neck or shoulder area that is detected before the test. Most of these are medical oxygen tanks with tightly radiused shoulders and 1/2" valve openings. It's pretty rare to have a scuba tank fail and he has had only one in the last year or two.

The risk of a crack in a tank with 6351 alloy is real, but with current hydro testing, proper eddy current inspection at an annual or 18 month interval and proper fill procedures, the odds of a catostophic failure are very, very remote.

I would not personally buy a used AL 6351 alloy scuba tank if I did not know who onwed it and how they treated it (that goes for any AL tank) but I would have no qualms about continuing to use one that I own and that was properly filled, hydro'd and inspected.

8buck:
I know Walter Kiddie had some bad alloys I have three of there tanks and two by luxfier. When lux bought walter kiddie back in late 80's i think they put out a list of the t-6 al that was bad. Also in my lds yesterday we were talking about this. and they said when a company buys out another company their stamp wich is good for like 15 years i think, when it goes out they have the option of just having it stamped 3al over the name.

Walter Kidde tanks have heavier walls than other AL 80's and demonstrate significantly less expansion during a hydro test. If I had to own a 6351 alloy tank, I'd want it to be a Walter Kidde.

If the tank is stamped ICC, or DOT already, the question of whether the manufacturer is still in business is a moot point. There is no need to stamp anything out.

Some of the LDS confusion here may be occurring because of what can happen with tanks stamped with an exemption number. An exemption normally has to be renewed every 2-3 years and if the company goes out of business, then the exemption will most likely not be picked up by another company and will expire. The same thing could potentially occur if one company buys another and chooses not to renew the acquired company's exemptions. And of course a company could decide for what ever reason not to renew its own exemptions (although this makes the customers who bought the tanks from the company really crabby). Once an exemption expires and is not renewed, the tank cannot be hydro tested and put back into service and will essentially not be legally useable after the current hydrotest date expires.

What makes this more confusing in the case of scuba tanks is that 6351 alloy tanks made under the SP6498 exemption were granted an permanent DOT approval and no longer have to have the exemption renewed. These tanks should have the exemption numbers stamped out and replaced with DOT 3AL at the next hydro to reflect this. This blanket approval has been in effect for a LONG time but we still see tanks that come in without the DOT 3AL stamp meaning they have not been hydro'd (and probably not used) in a long time.

Ber Rabbit:
We just replaced the rest of our tanks in that category using the voucher offer even though the tanks passed eddy current. No point in taking chances since we fill those things ourselves in a VERY small area.
Ber
Bah...it's not that small...Bri-guy can actually stand up in there.:D

Seriously though, I was glad we took advantage of the offer...we got new tanks, and hopefully we'll be springing for some new valves, some of those old ones were getting kinda on the un-reliable side IMO.

Dropped off my PST 104s this morning at the local hydro shop (picked up my AL40 & AL14 that I dropped off on Monday) and ended up in about a two-hour conversation with the hydro guy. Had a great time, this guy is excited about his job, doing hydros and doing the right thing via the regulations.

Unlike the coastal regions, steel SCUBA cylinders are almost unheard of in Colorado and in fact this is the first time in five years on the job he had encountered steel SCUBA cylinders; he took one look at my note (“Please test for a + rating”) and told me you can’t do that for SCUBA cylinders -- I asked him to check the regulations and in about a minute apologized – “I’m sorry, I was thinking about star service, not a + rating” (which I have no argument with). I had no problem with the progression; he looked it up and figured out the right thing to do. The fact that I knew a little about the regulations I think encouraged the floodgates to open and we yacked for quite some time.

So two notable things I’d like to pass on: First, proposed rules and comments about changes to DOT testing of the 6351-T6 alloy cylinders can be found at:

http://dms.dot.gov/search/searchFormSimple.cfm

Select “docket number” if not already selected and type in “14405” (sans quotes) into the search area. The first two documents are the proposed changes, followed by comments from various organizations and individuals. It’s kinda funny to read: The folks who sell cylinders want the cylinders condemned (except Luxfer), the organizations that teach inspections want more inspections and Luxfer is doing the CYA thing, defending their cylinders but not offering much of an opinion (but I’m sure hoping for a condemnation).

Even our own Chris Brunner (COVCI) has a comment in there!

Second piece of information is a data point I’ve been looking for for some time, namely “How much does a cylinder increase in volume during a fill?”

Well I don’t know about a fill, but I now know about during a hydro, which is close enough. An AL80 increases its volume by about 70 cubic centimeters (about 4 cubic inches) during a hydro. Permanent deformation is about 1 cubic centimeter immediately after the test, and it shrinks back a little more over a couple days.

Just an interesting data point I’ve always wondered about…

Roger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom