DOT Tank Condemnation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anyone hear of massive DOT tank condemnation...specifically tanks mfg before 1989?

that affect SCUBA cylinders...

Or any other cylinder condemnation.

SCUBA cylinders made from 6351 alloy will soon be required by the DOT to be tested using Eddy Current Instuments by Hydrostatic Retesters during requalification. This is based upon a ruling of RSPA-03-10373 (HM-220D).

You can view this ruling at:

HM-220D

This DOES NOT call for cylinder condemnation.

Hope this helps.

Please ask any questions that may arise.

Chris
COVCI

There are large batches of tanks that were made under exemptions. If the mfgr doesn't maintain the exemption then the tanks become condemned.

I believe many of the Norris tanks fall into this category for example. If you need more specific information PM me and I'll go through my PSI book for details.

I couldnt find anything about 6351 or eddy current testing in the dcoument you cite. Was it the right on or am I mising something?

COVCI once bubbled...
SCUBA cylinders made from 6351 alloy will soon be required by the DOT to be tested using Eddy Current Instuments by Hydrostatic Retesters during requalification. This is based upon a ruling of RSPA-03-10373 (HM-220D).

You can view this ruling at:

HM-220D

I couldn't understand the document either...very hard to read...a lot on exemptions

I'm not aware of any 'exemption' for SCUBA tanks made by Norris. All original aluminum bottles made from 6351 alloy were stamped SP6498. This 'special permit' alloy was later converted to 'approved', hence the DOT prefix DOT 3AL.

The NON DESTRUCTIVE testing discussed in the documents referrs to EDDY CURRENT testing of the neck.

I have excerpted from two documents below both from the DOT website (www.dot.gov) and just search for 6351.

This first on is dated 24 Sep 03

[Federal Register: October 18, 1999 (Volume 64, Number 200)]
[Notices]
[Page 56243-56244]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr18oc99-109]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Research and Special Programs Administration
[Docket No. RSPA-99-5143 (Notice No. 99-11)]

Safety Advisory; High Pressure Aluminum Seamless and Aluminum
Composite Hoop-Wrapped Cylinders

AGENCY: Research and Special Programs Administration (RSPA), DOT.

ACTION: Safety advisory notice.

3. Do not use any SCBA or self-contained underwater breathing
apparatus (SCUBA) cylinder that is beyond its required retest date.
4. Ensure that any cylinder awaiting an inspection, for any reason,
undergoes a non-destructive examination (NDE) on the interior of the
cylinder neck and shoulder area for SLC.
5. During or between DOT required requalifications, perform
additional NDE on the interior of the cylinder neck and shoulder area
for SLC.
6. Increase the frequency of internal inspections. We recommend
that internal visual inspections be on an annual basis. Other NDE
methods may be performed at longer intervals.
Industry guides, such as those provided by Professional Scuba
Inspectors, Inc. and Luxfer (USA), contain valuable information
regarding cylinder inspections and recommended inspection intervals.
This information and the requirements in 49 CFR 173.34(e) should be
consulted prior to conducting any cylinder inspection.

This one is dated 11 Sep 03

RSPA 11-03
Contacts: Joe Delcambre
Tel.: (202) 366-4831
Wednesday, September 10, 2003

This proposed rulemaking, HM-220F, would complement an earlier final rule, HM-220D. Under the new rule, all existing cylinders manufactured of aluminum alloy 6351-T6 used in self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA) for diving, self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) for firefighting, and oxygen service would be required to:

* Undergo a non-destructive examination at the time of its required five-year periodic requalification. (This would include an electrical/eddy current examination combined with a visual inspection for cracks in the neck region),
* Have operational controls in place during the filling process, and
* Revise the entry in the HMR for the DOT 3 AL cylinder in the "Requalification of Cylinders" table to include a non-destructive examination for cylinders manufactured of aluminum alloy 6351-T6.

I know Walter Kiddie had some bad alloys I have three of there tanks and two by luxfier. When lux bought walter kiddie back in late 80's i think they put out a list of the t-6 al that was bad. Also in my lds yesterday we were talking about this. and they said when a company buys out another company their stamp wich is good for like 15 years i think, when it goes out they have the option of just having it stamped 3al over the name. All three of my tanks passed but some shops still refuse to fill them even though they passed hydro. My lds now fills them or i go and fill them myself. They aint scared lol... but read on the net about them exploading. dogpile.com search walter kiddie tanks... messy shots sent five grown men to the hospital .

Back
Top Bottom