DOT exemption for PST E7 Tanks? Expires Soon? Renewed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pst only started using the e series naming when they switched from 3500 psi to 3442 psi and 7/8 neck to 3/4 neck. the older ones were referred to as hp100.

I looked. No E7-xxxx stamp like on the later ones I have. But no HP100 or HP3.5 stamp either. ::shrug::

I bought the E7-100 tonight for $50. Looks really good. Based on the markings I think it was made 8/2003. Can't find any other hydro stamps.

Will try and drop it off tomorrow for hydro and hope all turns out well. If anyone has a place they recommend in Los Angeles or Ventura county let me know.

Any word on whether the DOT - SP 9791 will be renewed? Dec 31 2018 expiration is approaching and was advised by my LDS to get my hydro performed before the end of the year. I'll be only losing 6 months on that previous hydro but that will give me 5 more years of life if nothing changes and the exemption is allowed to expire.

heh - some how I had feeling you'd be replying - that was fast.

I have a vested interest in it getting renewed and was around the last 2 times this was an issue in '11 and '15.
If PST doesn't renew, then the DoT will be fielding thousands of individual exemptions for the tanks and they don't want to deal with it. PSI/PCI and DEMA got with the DoT the last few times and made sure PST renewed. It will get renewed again, but I wouldn't expect anything to be done before xmas

Any word on whether the DOT - SP 9791 will be renewed? Dec 31 2018 expiration is approaching and was advised by my LDS to get my hydro performed before the end of the year. I'll be only losing 6 months on that previous hydro but that will give me 5 more years of life if nothing changes and the exemption is allowed to expire.
no it wont. if the permit is allowed to expire those cylinders are done - no more fills allowed (technically)

but it will be renewed again as annoying as it is at the last second

@rjack321 is correct. If the exemption were to expire, that would mean the cylinders would no longer be approved for use by the DOT and would be unlawful for use where the USDOT has jurisdiction and where state laws require use of approved cylinders, even if the hydro test stamp is within the last five years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom