Dorcy brand dive light. Anyone used them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I'm having a bit of trouble with my light. It isn't the output but rather the clip. I am using the cave line provided and a cave knot to tie a bolt snap to the back of the light. I am using the same know I use on all my other equipment. I even use a dab of super glue on the knot to keep it in place. After a bit of use, however, the light cuts through the cave line and becomes detached. Granted I'm not that gentle with the light...

Has anyone else had any such issues? It seems like the holes that I'm pushing the cave line through are sharp enough to cut the cave line with some wear and tear. Has anyone else had any issues as such or have any suggestions to prevent me from looking for my light at the beach at night with my other Dorcy light?

I have a Dorcy, and so far so good.

The lanyard holes in the butt of the light were a bit sharp when I received it, they need to be deburred.

I used a abrasive cord like this National Supply Source Mitchell's Abrasive Cords and Tapes - Mitchell's Abrasive Cords and Tapes Product Page

In a pinch you can tear very thin strips of crocus cloth, roll it up and pull it through the holes.

Tobin

Sweet... thanks for the help guys. I don't have any abrasive cord or crocus cloth but I'll see if I have anything around to deburr the holes.

or a cone shaped Dremel type carbide stone in a regular power drill. Even a regular large drill bit will take the edge off the hole - I'd recommend going really slow though, or even using the bit by hand to avoid buggering up the light.

Henrik

I was gonna say...

Dorcy wrote me back, btw, to have me send the light in. I assume it will be replaced for free. If not, you can be sure there will be some posts here...

FWIW, and just to update the post, I was told that Dorcy is sending me a new light.

Glad it wasn't a problem on my dive (there was no emergency... glad it was just a simple OW dive, however), and not happy about the flood, but fairly pleased with the customer service. I'm sure the replacement will be fine for me.

I just purchased two of these from Piranha, very bright lights for sure. I'm going to put some split rings on then tie the snaps to them instead of deburring which would take off the anodizing/hardening.

As a side note, first time ordering from Piranha. First class service, next day shipping (ordered Sunday evening), and everything was indivdually wrapped (paper and bubble wrap) then boxed. Very impressed and the prices are right. They even adjusted the shipping charges down after the order was placed and shipping was reasonable/cheap to begin with. Very impressed.

Post-note, re deburring: Harbor Freight has a cheap dremel knock-off for $10 which includes all kinds of tips and tools. There's a pointy diamond-tip grinding tip that does a fantastic job of deburring the lanyard holes. I'll be using this in all of my lights from now forward...

I got my Dorcy from Amazon yesterday. It's a great light that works fine with NiMH batteries. What I did is put a zip tie through both holes so the locking part of the zip tie is in the center, inside the little well. Inside I tied a snap bolt with cord to the zip tie. The zip tie should resist the sharp edges.

Also, the included lanyard really is too light duty for diving. I just tied a regular lanyard to the snap bolt.

Adam

Just hopped on Piranha Dive Mfg today to see what their weekly specials were and saw that they are now preordering the 2nd gen Dorcy Submersible light.

Looks like Dorcy listened to the comments on the first one and made some good improvements:

- 220 Lumens of Light Output! This light is bright!!
- Dimensions 6.5" L X 1.5 W
- Submersible (IPX-8) to a depth of 100 meters (328 Feet)
- Uses Lumileds K2 220 Super Flux LED
- New body with a Hard Anodized Finish
- Our 220 model has a new head for easier turning it on / off underwater
- Twist On and Off Funtionality (No Push Button Switch)
- This light has dual o'rings (2) to prevent flooding
- 8 Hour Run Time
- Lens is glass
- New more durable battery holder!
- This Dive Light is guaranteed to be submersible (IPX-8) to a depth of up to 100 meters (328 feet).
- On land, the center spot concentrates 80% of the light output while using the remaining 20% to provide a bright area around the center spot to light up a wide viewing area.
- Convenient Nylon Wrist Strap Lanyard
- On the rear of the light it has two "2" holes to loop a snap or clip with a new rounded bottom! It comes standard with a lanyard but you can change that one of you wish!

Click on "Hot Deals" to see the light

I've got the first one and like it a lot. I just may have to "misplace it" so I can get the new model :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom