Dorcy brand dive light. Anyone used them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that Compudude might have both.

The Raider I is an excellent light from what everyone says. but the Dory is much brighter I think.

I thought about buying a Raider III/IV but they had tons of problems and all kinds of support issues and half of them don't work. So for the cost I've opted not to buy one (at this time. might later after they get the bugs all worked out and get the "bad ones" out of inventory at LDS's. ) The fact that Oxycheq deleted the thread where people were complaining about the Raider III/IV also kinda irked me a little as they don't want people knowing their problems and support issues it seems.

Sorry I missed your post... I haven't been hitting SB as much as I used to, this past year.

The Dorcy is definitely brighter than the Raider I, there's no comparison. I suspect it's closer to the Raider III/IV in light output, but I don't own those (for the same reasons as you) so I can't compare.

That said, this info seems germaine to this thread, so I'll copy my post from the ScubaToys forum here:

Soooo... interesting story.

I took the Dorcy "Penetrator 180" diving today.

After the first dive (99' max, average depth 56'), I was showing it off to a friend during our surface interval. He couldn't twist it on, so I tried. Passing it around, several others on the boat also failed to turn it on... I figured I need to lube the o-ring.

Putting my dive gloves back on gave me the grip I needed to wrench the light open. It finally started unscrewing, but after it passed the o-rings, suddenly there was a VERY loud popping noise, sounding almost like a gun, and somehow (don't ask, I have no idea) a single AAA battery came flying out. Dirty-looking water dribbled onto my hand, and it stung slightly so I rinsed it quickly. (my hand, that is)

The light flooded on dive one. :( It was closed all the way to test before entry, then opened just enough to turn it off, which is normal procedure for twist-on lights. I have no idea how it flooded... or how one battery somehow made it out of the battery holder, which then returned to the normal position. My friend can verify narrowly missing getting hit by the flying battery, but none of us can figure out how the heck it got out.

Anyway, that was the interesting story. Hope you enjoyed it. :)

Piranha asked that I send the light back to Dorcy, which I'm about to do. Although I emailed Dorcy yesterday asking if I should have an RMA or something and have had no response, although it hasn't even been 24 hours so that's not a problem. I'll probably go ahead and ship it out today whether I hear back or not. Then we'll see. From everything I've heard, however, I have little doubt they'll stand by their product and replace it for me.

Still, quite the bizarre situation!

And as I posted elsewhere on this board, I had one flood on a 150-160' dive (though it had been fine on about six other dives in this depth range). Flood was not where the head meets the body, but seemed to be through the lens (the battery compartment was bone dry but water was behind the lens). Dorcy replaced the light for free and quickly. That said, if I experience any other issue I'm going to switch lights. These aren't built to the same standards as a Photon Torpedo, Rat, Scout, or Heiser (sp?). That said, it's about a third the cost of those lights, and significantly brighter. If you're planning to use it as a primary light, or as a backup, for an OW day or night dive, give the Dorcy a shot. Given I had one flood, I can't really recommend them as overhead backups.

Sorry I missed your post... I haven't been hitting SB as much as I used to, this past year.

The Dorcy is definitely brighter than the Raider I, there's no comparison. I suspect it's closer to the Raider III/IV in light output, but I don't own those (for the same reasons as you) so I can't compare.

That said, this info seems germaine to this thread, so I'll copy my post from the ScubaToys forum here:

Piranha asked that I send the light back to Dorcy, which I'm about to do. Although I emailed Dorcy yesterday asking if I should have an RMA or something and have had no response, although it hasn't even been 24 hours so that's not a problem. I'll probably go ahead and ship it out today whether I hear back or not. Then we'll see. From everything I've heard, however, I have little doubt they'll stand by their product and replace it for me.

Still, quite the bizarre situation!

Well , this is the answer of Dorcy for the same problem you had all with this light:
Gilles,

Unfortunately you would not qualify for this part. We do not make the Penetrater 180 dive light by Piranha Dive Manufacturing. Please contact them about the defective part in their light. We manufacture the 41-0467 180 Lumen Submersible LED Light.
41-0467 Light:

Dorcy 180 Lumen Submersible LED Dive Light

41-0467 Parts:

Dorcy Direct - 41-0467 Parts

Piranha Dive Manufacturing
info@piranhadivemfg.com

Phone: 302.494.0982

300 Liberty Blvd

New Castle, DE 19720

Thank you and have a fantastic day,

Dorcy Support - Heather

So, who make the 180 penetrator ? If not Dorcy, am i missing something?
Because i live abroad, it will cost the price of a new one, not a good deal .

That's pretty funny given the Penetrator 180 light you get from Piranha says "Dorcy" right on it. It of course also comes in a Dorcy box with Dorcy instructions.

:shakehead:

Well , this is the answer of Dorcy for the same problem you had all with this light:
Gilles,

Unfortunately you would not qualify for this part. We do not make the Penetrater 180 dive light by Piranha Dive Manufacturing. Please contact them about the defective part in their light. We manufacture the 41-0467 180 Lumen Submersible LED Light.
41-0467 Light:

Dorcy 180 Lumen Submersible LED Dive Light

41-0467 Parts:

Dorcy Direct - 41-0467 Parts

Piranha Dive Manufacturing
info@piranhadivemfg.com

Phone: 302.494.0982

300 Liberty Blvd

New Castle, DE 19720

Thank you and have a fantastic day,

Dorcy Support - Heather

So, who make the 180 penetrator ? If not Dorcy, am i missing something?
Because i live abroad, it will cost the price of a new one, not a good deal .

hmmm I got an email from Mark (Dorcey) and he stated that the Predator 180 is their light but Piranha adds a few accessories to the light such as a cave/wreck line.

I will shoot him a PM to get this cleared up.

Um, Piranha gives you (unattached to the light) two feet of cave line (the bolt snap is extra, except for when they were running a promotion and included it for free, again, unattached). If that renders it not a Dorcy light, well...

Well,
I just received an apalogize from Dorcy, they do make the 180 penetrater for Piranha, but for some reasons,the person was not informed of that, no problem, they will send me a free part.
happy ending.

So I'm having a bit of trouble with my light. It isn't the output but rather the clip. I am using the cave line provided and a cave knot to tie a bolt snap to the back of the light. I am using the same knot I use on all my other equipment. I even use a dab of super glue on the knot to keep it in place. After a bit of use, however, the light cuts through the cave line and becomes detached. Granted I'm not that gentle with the light...

Has anyone else had any such issues? It seems like the holes that I'm pushing the cave line through are sharp enough to cut the cave line with some wear and tear. Has anyone else had any issues as such or have any suggestions to prevent me from looking for my light at the beach at night with my other Dorcy light?

Last edited:
I was gonna say...

Dorcy wrote me back, btw, to have me send the light in. I assume it will be replaced for free. If not, you can be sure there will be some posts here...

A buddy had that exact problem (and even lost his light because of it). Solution for the rest of our Dorcy lights was to redrill/tap the holes so they are smoother. This *is* an issue that Dorcy should address. They are not getting clean holes and that is going to cause others to have problems as well.

Eventually, we actually added two holes opposite the ones already present, ran bungee between them, and tied the bolt snap to that, which allows a center (as opposed to side) mounted clip. It sits a bit better like this and the bungee is less likely to be cut that the cave line.

So I'm having a bit of trouble with my light. It isn't the output but rather the clip. I am using the cave line provided and a cave knot to tie a bolt snap to the back of the light. I am using the same know I use on all my other equipment. I even use a dab of super glue on the knot to keep it in place. After a bit of use, however, the light cuts through the cave line and becomes detached. Granted I'm not that gentle with the light...

Has anyone else had any such issues? It seems like the holes that I'm pushing the cave line through are sharp enough to cut the cave line with some wear and tear. Has anyone else had any issues as such or have any suggestions to prevent me from looking for my light at the beach at night with my other Dorcy light?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom