Dorcy brand dive light. Anyone used them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well... according to this Torch-Raider-Acc

there are two light socks

Item Code: ROLL-20-02 (Raider I & II)
Item Code: ROLL-20-03 (Raider III & IV)

The Raider I is 1.3" wide according to Torch-Raider1
The Raider III/IV is 1" wide according to Torch-RaiderIII

The Dorcy light is 1.5" wide according to Dorcy International - Flashlights, LED Flashlights, Flashlight Batteries, Flashlight Bulbs

My guess is if you're going to get it to fin in one of the above LightSocks, then try ROLL-20-02 (Raider I & II) as the size is closer (1.3" for the Raider I compared to 1.5" for the Dorcy). I'm guessing it would be a tight fit, but it's its nylon and will prob stretch.

Hi Guys,
Regarding the Dorcy 180. Does anyone know the technical specs? (in particular, life expectancy of the LED and whether they're user replaceable or not)?

Hi Guys,
Regarding the Dorcy 180. Does anyone know the technical specs? (in particular, life expectancy of the LED and whether they're user replaceable or not)?

Life expectancy of most current LED's driven at or below spec is 50,000 hours or nearly 6 years continuous use. By the time it goes it will be so out of date that you wouldnt want to replace it. In fact its already out of date as are 50% of currently available LED dive lights.
Dont let this put you off buying a LED light though as it will always be the case.

So I just got my oxycheq sock for the Raider I/II and the Dorcy light fits just fine. I will try it out this weekend and let you guys know how it goes.

Well I got one of these a few weeks back, and there has been quite some interest shown in this little torch (oh sorry - flash light for all you guys state side :D ).

So much so that I have already ordered 12 of these todate for friends, and looks like there may be more yet to come!

Bought them from Piranha - no one else seemed to want to deal with us Australian's. Piranha have done very good by us todate, including refunding the difference in estimated postage compared to actual. Very happy with their service!

As for the oxycheq light sock it seems to fit nicely but certainly not snug. In this configuration it's a bit hard to turn on and off, however with the bolt snap in the back I am able to use the snap to aid in turning it on / off. I went on 2 night dives and the light was sufficient.

As for the oxycheq light sock it seems to fit nicely but certainly not snug. In this configuration it's a bit hard to turn on and off, however with the bolt snap in the back I am able to use the snap to aid in turning it on / off. I went on 2 night dives and the light was sufficient.

try cutting a piece of bicycle inner-tube and putting around the head of the light. like a 1" wide section or so.

it will help give you a better grip on it. might be able to get some on the body also to snug it up also in the Light sock.

I really want to get one of these lights but was concerned about this issue of the switch. Have you been on more dives to confirm your original satisfaction, or has it turned into a big pain?

try cutting a piece of bicycle inner-tube and putting around the head of the light. like a 1" wide section or so.

it will help give you a better grip on it. might be able to get some on the body also to snug it up also in the Light sock.

Great idea mike!

I've found this works well if you turn the bicycle tube inside out before you put it on the light. (Tubes sometimes have a powerdry lubricant on the inside which could cause it to slip over the light head).

Well - these things have taken off over here. I've had 17 shipped from the US to Australia through myself alone for the guys I hang out with. (Done through Pirhana, because they're the only ones willing to deal with us Aussies). Who knows how many others I don't know of have bought too.

Pitty Dorcy Australia don't deal with these, or more US shops don't support overseas sales, but Pirhana's getting a lot of good business through us! (While we're buying, we might as well buy other dive gear too, ey? ) :wink:

One note - one of the torches we receive had a battery blow inside it. (Through no fault of the torch, it was a battery issue). My guess is because the batteries are in 2 parallel banks, one of the batteries may have been faulty and received charge. (This happened whilst the torch was not turned on).

The gentlemen who had the torch wanted to clean and repaint the inside of the torch (as paint was stripped) as he was concerned about corrosion. He contacted Dorcy Australia to find out what paint was recommended and was pretty much told - we don't sell these torches, don't talk to us.

He then contacted Dorcy in the states. They advised to contact Australia, but once he explained that they already did - they took it upon themselves to help him. However - they did not tell him what paint to use. Instead - they offered to ship a brand new Dorcy torch to him at the cost of freight only!

Dorcy seem to really stand behind their products, and their customer service (well, at least the US company) are really second to none. I've got a lot of respect for that company.

Oh - btw - just ordered yet another 4 of these gems! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom