Don't wax this dry suit zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterdufus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A while back, I posted in another thread that you should not fold your zippers. That thread went it's course, but last weekend I learned more . To summarize, Bare NexGen drysuit, my zipper need replacing due to folding it, so Bare replaced it with the " plastic " zipper. I think Aquandy was calling it the Tizip.

I learned that you are not supposed to wax this plastic zip. Interestingly, nobody at Bare or my LDS said anything about this when I got the zip. Learned about it by talking to a buddy at " a meet ". Thought I should share the info.

Wish people would share info when you buy their product

Are you sure that the Tizip should not be lubed?

If you check out the Tizip.com website and click on the "Service" tab, you'll see that the manufacturer recommends that some sort of lubricant should be used periodically. I'd be inclined to believe what the manufacturer has to say on this matter.

Tizip zippers come with a silicone lubricant that they recommend you periodically apply to the end of the zipper where it seats.

Lemon hit it right on the head... The directions say to zip up the suit and put a few drops of lube on the end.. That is all you needed to do.. Of course do you think i followed the directions--- nooooo lol.. I waxed my tzip--- but am thinking from now on im going to be a good boy and do what the mfg says.. :gun:

Yes, the comment not to wax came from a dive buddy and was confirmed shortly afterwards by the owner of the LDS where I had the zip replaced. I'm going to look into this further and look at the website as suggested. My new zip did not come with any special wax

Just looked at the suggested websites and previous threads, the future does not look bright for my new Tizip, whether I wax it or not. Early indications from my quick reading shows the problems to be at the attached ends, not the zip itself. Great...

I had a metal zipper that lasted 6 years on my OS suit and as far as I know is still in fine shape and being used by the lady who bought it. My HOG suit also has the metal zipper and I expect it to last just as long. But then again I am somewhat fanatical about caring for drysuit zippers since my money tree is yet to bloom:(.

I keep seal saver, a toothbrush, and a block of pharmaceutical grade beeswax on hand.

I had a metal zipper that lasted 6 years on my OS suit and as far as I know is still in fine shape and being used by the lady who bought it. My HOG suit also has the metal zipper and I expect it to last just as long. But then again I am somewhat fanatical about caring for drysuit zippers since my money tree is yet to bloom:(.

I keep seal saver, a toothbrush, and a block of pharmaceutical grade beeswax on hand.

Where do you get the beeswax? Is it the gooey kind?

I believe the zipper in the old thread is probably one of the old TiZip products. From the research I have done the MasterSeal 10 is the zipper that Bare is using and has only been on the market for a year or so. With that being said Bare is putting a lot of stock into this zipper as they are putting it in there new flag ship suit the SB system and two others currently. Before I sent mine in for replacement I spoke with the product manager at Bare (I misplaced his name:() and he was saying that they had the TiZip MasterSeal 10 on some NexGen drysuits at a commercial diving school in BC and some have over 2000 dives on them and are still going strong. But only time will tell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom