Don't want to lose my boat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all!

I am not new to diving, but I have never dove off of my own boat. I have a 21 Cape Horn Center Console (not much of a platform on the back). Most of my dives have been in Australia on the reef, and I have done a few wreck dives out of Panama City Beach, but they have all been done through a company.

I am now back home, and am planning on frequently diving in PCB off of my own boat, and I know that there are several things that I need to know first. I am not sure of the best way to tie into a wreck, or to enter/exit the water. Is it OK to dive without someone manning the boat?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks guys, and happy diving!

MD

I have soloed off my own boats since I was a kid. You need to know the waters, check your anchor equipment and limit your exploration to up current and insight of your anchor line.

The Panhandle area of Florida has a lot of artificial reefs, bridge rubble reefs, odds and ends like culverts and old steel, actual wrecks, some natural "live" rock and lot's of open sand. The customary wreck anchor is a re-bar grapple.

I usually use a grapple (wreck hook) or a Fortress, I dive from a 19 foot boat, I use a 16 foot chain, hand spliced anchor rode. I don't run out 5X depth and all of that BS for a simple, temporary wreck tie-in in benign conditions, 2X is plenty.

I don't solo offshore farther than I can swim back to shore, I can swim a long, long way, I carry self rescue equipment plus sausage, spools, mirrors, dye etc in a small pocket.

I would think nothing, an example, of solo diving from my little boat on the Tug Louise out of Destin in barely 50/60 feet of water, about a mile or so from shore, heck, I have shore dived it that site. On the other hand, I would not head out 26 miles to the Timberholes in 120 feet of water for a solo dive. There I would leave my wife aboard, done, did, will do again.

If you are worried about somebody thinking your anchored boat, with a fleet of dive falgs on it, trailing line with flag, and a note on the panel that you are scuba diving below with date and time might be abandoned then you might be a bit paranoid and if somebody is going to steal it, well, swim for shore, it is good exercise.

I would get some good knowledge of the area, dive it with locals a bunch, get familiar with area weather, boating customs etc and ease into it.

Yeah, it is always better to leave your wife up top or a boat watcher.

I think sometimes some folks confuse private boating with commercial dive/charter businesses.

N

For a Hawaiian reef or a San Diego kelp bed, where you are within swimming distance of shore, it seems safe enough to me.

Other places far from shore, with strong currents and unpredictable sea conditions, the consequences of losing your boat would be much more serious.

+1 to that. I dive in the BVI off our private boat, and usually leave it unmanned with a dive flag up. Worst that could happen is a stolen boat and all the dives there are with in swimming distance to an island. The island may be un-inhabited but w/e lol. I wouldn't do it anywhere the swim to land wasn't an option.

There was two problems we have had doing this.

First was when we first started doing this and didn't have the sense to lay enough anchor line. We back rolled off, I waited on my sister not noticing the drifting boat :confused: she jumped in. We started to decend on the anchor line only to get to 75' with the anchor drifting along off the bottom by 10' lol. I swam up and was able to un-cleat the line drop a bunch more down and we found a new little site. Now of course if the current was heavy we could have been in a big situation. This could have been avoided by knowing how to anchor a boat correctly to begin with.

The second time we had an issue we were descending down, off the anchor line for some stupid reason :no: and my sister was having some ear issues. When she tried to ascend she was having a reverse squeeze and was not able to come up. We were only 25' deep and I could see the hull just disappearing in the back ground...she eventually got her ear worked out and we ascended and had a long swim back in the current to the boat. This could have been avoided by using the anchor line to ascend and descend like we should have to begin with.

So both of our issues have been user error. I need to find a way to get a DAN 02 kit down there now. Don't think I can bring one on the airplane with me...

Remember the couple who went bug hunting down off of Florida, left the boat empty, surfaced to find it long gone. CG ran across the drifting boat, searched for them, and after a couple of days finally spotted them - floating along with their catch in tow.
If you're going to dive from an empty boat, at least leave word with a dependable party who will send the CG if you don't check back in on time.​
I like the idea of a competent pilot who can motor to me if I can't get back to the boat, and help drag my body aboard if for some reason I am injured and can't get up on my own.

Can you imagine diving off your own unmanned boat either solo or with one or more divers, and then suddenly you see your boat sinking right past you?

That would be creepy.

Can you imagine diving off your own unmanned boat either solo or with one or more divers, and then suddenly you see your boat sinking right past you?

That would be creepy.
Wasn't that in a movie...?

That would be creepy.

I recall that happened in the Keys a few years ago.

One safety rule was enforce is a dive boat is never ever left empty with divers in the water. Conditions or incidents may make a return impossible, nobody there for accident management. Its not a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom