Don't rent a car from Avis or Hertz on the island.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just got back today from another Coz vacation and another disaster with another rental car company. We rent a car, because we have a 2 year old who requires a car seat. We were in Cozumel in January and rented a car from Hertz. Long story short, we booked it through Expedia and they said it would cost $360 and that included insurance and taxes we had that in writing. We arrive at the airport to turn the car in and they tried to say it is $720 something. We refused to sign and handed them the keys. Sure enough, they tried to charge us that and we contested it. The bank said you signed the contract agreeing to $700 and I said BS we didn't sign anything. They scanned over the document and it was a forgery of my signature that was done by Hertz. The bank had my signature on file and took the money from them, so they didn't get a penny extra.

We thought we would have better luck with Avis... wrong. My in-laws rented a car and it was supposed to be $400 and we signed the credit card slip. Got back and she checked her acct and they hit it for $590.. here we go again. Are there no honest car rental places on the island? My in-laws loved Cozumel, but are talking about not going back due to this incident. They knew of our prior incident and we all thought that was a one time deal.

We have rented from Rentadora Gallo (located in Chedraui mall) on several occasions with absolutely no problems. I don't know if it helps that they know we live here part time but there have never been any disputes about price or pretend damage.

Thanks, guys. I'll check both of those places out. I'm done with Hertz or Avis.. I'm just looking to pay the agreed upon price with no funny business.

I don't see the problem. Either you pay what you agreed to pay or you don't. If they charge your credit card more than what you agreed to pay, simply dispute it with your credit card company and don't pay it, especially if you have a written contract to the contrary. Car rentals anywhere outside the U.S. and Canada are a PITA and best to be avoided, but blanket statements like "Don't rent a car from so and so" are also just as avoidable.

Have rented both Hertz & Avis at the airport a number of times, as part of a package through Orbitz. Never had any problems with either. In all cases, everything was prepaid except the airport taxes, but they never hassled over anything. Maybe prepaying is the key.

I don't see the problem. Either you pay what you agreed to pay or you don't. If they charge your credit card more than what you agreed to pay, simply dispute it with your credit card company and don't pay it, especially if you have a written contract to the contrary. Car rentals anywhere outside the U.S. and Canada are a PITA and best to be avoided, but blanket statements like "Don't rent a car from so and so" are also just as avoidable.
Yep. There is one Coz agency I won't use, the one that defrauded a member with fake insurance - but their name is so similar to another, I'm not repeating it here.

We have rented from Rentadora Gallo (located in Chedraui mall) on several occasions with absolutely no problems. I don't know if it helps that they know we live here part time but there have never been any disputes about price or pretend damage.

Is that Rooster Rentals / Pirata? Has another hole in the wall office in the mall behind Fat Tuesday? My guy works outta there and has been good to us.

Is that Rooster Rentals / Pirata? Has another hole in the wall office in the mall behind Fat Tuesday? My guy works outta there and has been good to us.

I don't know Chief...

I'll second Isis. Margaretta is one of the most honest people on the island.I have rented fom her many times and never had a problem.Doing it this week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom