Domestic Flights Jakarta Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just booked some flights from Jakarta to Raja Ampat and I would like to share some experiences

Not many airlines take credit cards not issued in Indonesia for payment, those that take the cards are the main ones Garuda for example but don't offer flights from Jakarta all the way to Sorong and therefore require stop over

As of today you can get from Jakarta to Sorong through Ujung Pandang (Makassar) with:
  • Merpati
  • Batavia
  • Expressair
  • Sriwijaya
And through Ambon with Lion Air/Wing Air. The flights with this route arrive in the evening so an overnight is required if you go on a boat

One airlines takes foreign credit cards Sriwijaya Air and offers business class with 30 Kg allowance, their booking system is a bit hard to come by but works. After you complete the transaction someone actually calls you to check the card details!
The other airlines except merpati do not offer business class

Having heard stories of cancellations without notice with Merpati I looked into punctuality of those airlines and Expressair and Sriwijaya stand out, Lion Air is also Ok as it seems.

I booked with Sriwijaya as it is the only one that takes foreign cards and can be done in advance. I choose the business class fare as it offers 30 kg allowance and big seats. Expressair is the favorite economy only carrier but they have a paper booking system so you can't book more than one month before the flight date.

Standard Economy fare is 3,480,000 IDR for economy and 7,200,000 IDR in business circa $370 or $760 for a return ticket extra weight allowance is $2.5 per Kg. Fares do go up as seats are sold for the flight in fact it cost me 8,720,000 for business and the max it goes is actually 11,080,000 IDR

I chose to book the flights direct as your liveaboard would charge a 5% handling fee on the ticket not only but the price quoted are usually higher of those you can get yourself. There are also travel agencies that I would classify as thieves as they charge double the price and ask you to pay in advance with paypal

The flight from Jakarta to Sorong is composed of two legs of 2h 15m if done through Makassar. Expressair just stops 45 minutes and then the same planes departs this gives you some reassurance the luggage will make it with you.

All the others have a change of plane. So we allowed 2h30m between the arrival to Makassar and the departure to Sorong. To do that with Sriwijaya you need to book to separate return ticktes Jakarta-Makassar and Makassar-Sorong

We also chose not to spend the day in Jakarta airport but stay in Makassar for one night still this would give us 7h30m to our international connection, the minimum suggested time is 5h between the domestic and international

There are some honest and helpful travel agencies out there who will help foreigners book tickets with Indonesian airlines that don't accept foreign credit cards and who not not rip you off. You can usually check prices on the airlines' sites and then check with the travel agent to make sure their price is the same. We booked some flights a few months ago and found that the two travel agents we worked with did not charge any more (or significantly more--I don't recall exactly) than if we had been able to book directly through the airline web site.

Tip: If you book on-line with your credit card, bring the credit card with you on your trip, as Indonesian airlines will often ask to see the actual physical card at check-in, even though you've already paid for the ticket.

Any news on the new airport in Raja Ampat? I want to go to RA, but its just too much traveling with all the baggage that comes with a dive vacation of that length. Im hoping the airport that just opened will service either bali or jakarta soon. Basically you to fly into bali or jakarta, more than likely spend a night, then fly to either Makassar or Ambon (i believe) to hopefully get to Sorong at the same time where you will have to spend another night before you get to your resort or LOB. Can RA really be that good? I have never dove there, but it seems to me people want to spend a ridiculous amount of money and travel for days, just to say that they have been to RA as few people have been there. I booked my next Indonesian trip to Komodo and it seems like Komodo gets just as good as of reviews as RA, but a lot easier to get to.

I got etickets with barcode from Sriwihaya however the baggage allowance on it is wrong
I then called the customer service and confirmed 30KG for business

As far as I can see there is no need for a stay over in makassar from Jakarta and there is no need for a stay over in Jakarta airport either, you have to allow for 5+ hours once you arrive between the international and domestic
On the way out as internal flights tend to be late maybe even more than 5 hours

I have allowed 7 hours between arrival in Jakarta and departure. Then get to Makassar 2 and half hour before the next plane. If things go wrong I have another 2 flight options from Jakarta and another 2 from Makassar

On the way back I buffered a stay in Makassar instead of Jakarta airport as staying in the airport 24 hours sounds dire. This because I could not find a good fare on the 0015 flight back and also my plane would finally land midday so it doesn't save me a day off I would have not had a stop if I just wanted to go back ASAP

I used to say about the travel to the location until now I booked, I will let you know afterwards, but this is the same story with places like Galapagos from UK

Last edited:
Any news on the new airport in Raja Ampat? I want to go to RA, but its just too much traveling with all the baggage that comes with a dive vacation of that length. Im hoping the airport that just opened will service either bali or jakarta soon. Basically you to fly into bali or jakarta, more than likely spend a night, then fly to either Makassar or Ambon (i believe) to hopefully get to Sorong at the same time where you will have to spend another night before you get to your resort or LOB. Can RA really be that good? I have never dove there, but it seems to me people want to spend a ridiculous amount of money and travel for days, just to say that they have been to RA as few people have been there. I booked my next Indonesian trip to Komodo and it seems like Komodo gets just as good as of reviews as RA, but a lot easier to get to.

If your time frame is less than a year, I'd say don't count on using the new airport; if more than a year, then maybe. As far as comparison to Komodo, do a search on this forum.

I have done the ExpressAir flight from Jakarta>Makassar>Sorong and it really is pretty painless.

If your time frame is less than a year, I'd say don't count on using the new airport; if more than a year, then maybe. As far as comparison to Komodo, do a search on this forum.
I think I will wait for a while and see how it goes. Everything I read never really compared the two, they all seem to focus on Komodo up till about November and then raja ampat through the following may or so.

---------- Post Merged at 06:25 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:22 AM ----------

I have done the ExpressAir flight from Jakarta>Makassar>Sorong and it really is pretty painless.
It's pretty painless if you are starting out in Jakarta, pairing it with an international flight creates a bit of pain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom