Travel Logistics: Jakarta and Sorong in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NootFish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It looks like travel to Indonesia is happening, and I've done my initial planning for my trip out there in October. (Work asked me to solidify the days off I need, which is quite a lot.)

Does anyone have good advice for figuring out who flies where, when? I usually use google flights. I'm looking at flights from #small town airport to #larger airport to #somewhere in asia (#somewhere in Europe?) to Jakarta to Sorong. It seems that there are not daily flights anymore, and Delta is more than $2000 for the trip that I can find. Do you think other flights will be added to schedules, or is what we have now what's going to be available in October?

Looks like my good ol' 12:30-6AM Garuda Air Jakarta to Sorong direct flight is operating on *the day my boat leaves* and not the day before like I normally do. Any commentary on the reliability of Lion or other Indonesian airlines (generally try to avoid because they seem very unreliable.

Anyone else planning these logistics too? Want to commiserate?

I use ITA Matrix for searching -- it is the engine that powers Google Flights (they bought the company, but I still use the original UI)

I'm booked DFW-IST-CGK on the outbound and my current plan is to take that Garuda Air flight the morning of my boat's departure as well. What I've heard is that morning flights are more reliable, but no personal experience with that. My long haul was booked with miles months ago and I was just assuming Garuda would still have the flight I need once I had to book that intra-Indonesia flight.

How far in advance do you suggest booking your Jakarta-Sorong ticket? Are all the inter Indonesian airlines pretty much the same? Garuda Air gets talked about a lot is because of price, reliability or number of flights (or all of the above), although Garuda does not seem to be an option on my travel days using Sky Scanner. I would like to travel to Sorong Dec 21 and return January 3 - I imagine thats a busy time of the year.
I also noticed that the return flights Sorong to Jakarta leave at either 10:45AM or 3:55 PM, I am guessing that if you want to get a flight the same day the boat drops you off it is prudent to book the latter flight, 3:55PM

How far in advance do you suggest booking your Jakarta-Sorong ticket? Are all the inter Indonesian airlines pretty much the same? Garuda Air gets talked about a lot is because of price, reliability or number of flights (or all of the above), although Garuda does not seem to be an option on my travel days using Sky Scanner. I would like to travel to Sorong Dec 21 and return January 3 - I imagine thats a busy time of the year.
I also noticed that the return flights Sorong to Jakarta leave at either 10:45AM or 3:55 PM, I am guessing that if you want to get a flight the same day the boat drops you off it is prudent to book the latter flight, 3:55PM
If you look at the list of top 10 worst airlines in the world, you might see a few familiar names on there if you've looked at Indonesian airlines. Garuda is part of skyteam and as a Delta Platinum medallion I try to book skyteam airlines whenever possible.

There is only one flight(GA863) from Sorong(08:15) to Jakarta(10:10). Two hrs time difference.
Total fare [21/12(GA682) - 04/01(GA683)] is IRD 7,307,800.00(US$500.00).

Has anyone had luck getting their credit from Indonesian airlines for previous flights that were unable to be flown due to covid?

I emailed Mermaid yesterday to see their thoughts since Guarda has an 0835 departure from Sorong.

Their response was I could make that flight but I’d miss a great dive the morning before. Without stating a time, they just referenced there were flights later in the day.

On the day in question 13Jan23 I did see a roughly 1030 Batik air flight. There might have been even more options later in the day

It looks like travel to Indonesia is happening, and I've done my initial planning for my trip out there in October. (Work asked me to solidify the days off I need, which is quite a lot.)

Does anyone have good advice for figuring out who flies where, when? I usually use google flights. I'm looking at flights from #small town airport to #larger airport to #somewhere in asia (#somewhere in Europe?) to Jakarta to Sorong. It seems that there are not daily flights anymore, and Delta is more than $2000 for the trip that I can find. Do you think other flights will be added to schedules, or is what we have now what's going to be available in October?

Looks like my good ol' 12:30-6AM Garuda Air Jakarta to Sorong direct flight is operating on *the day my boat leaves* and not the day before like I normally do. Any commentary on the reliability of Lion or other Indonesian airlines (generally try to avoid because they seem very unreliable.

Anyone else planning these logistics too? Want to commiserate?

Buy an international ticket to Jakarta. It will make it easier for entry and testing requirements if it is on one ticket. Then buy a domestic ticket via Garuda, Lion, Batik or something. It’s also way cheaper this way. I have used all 3 to get to Sorong and traveled extensively in Indonesia with these 3 carriers with no issues yet. Garuda has ironically been the worst for people I know even being their flag carrier because they’re known for schedule changes and canceling flights with little notice. Most of my travel has been on Lion and Batik.

When you fly to Jakarta there is a great red eye flight that leaves around 12:30 AM and arrives in Sorong about 6-6:30 AM. Batik is running it now (my partner just flew this route 3 weeks ago.) At the time we booked our flights, not all flights were everyday and certainly not direct flights which affected logistics. When I planned my trip (I’m on my way home now!) a 1.5 hour direct flight could mean an 8 hour day with layovers for the same airport on the next calendar day. Pre-pandemic, there were options with multiple carriers and most flew every day but a lot has changed. Arrange your travel schedule and logistics of stays around available flights (basically, work backwards). Now that more time has elapsed since Indonesia opening, hopefully more flights are available and for later this year.

For liveaboards, I would never arrive the morning of departure day so I would consider the Batik flight the previous day if it’s available to you. Or, 2 days before if it’s not available the day before. The stakes are high for liveaboard departures.

I just played this game in March. Use a spreadsheet to keep track of your options when researching. Filters came in handy. :)

I usually book them as soon as I book the trip but in this day and age with flight schedules, I look at flight schedules first then line them up with liveaboard schedules and resort options. Some Indonesian carriers don’t share schedules until a few months before. Once I confirm it works, I book the liveaboard or resort then book the flight immediately after confirmation. I’m not doing any planning 6-12-18 months in advance for trips anymore and am only doing them about 3 months in advance now due to the possibility of border issues or restrictions and potential uncertainty unless the operator has a very generous policy that’s COVID specific. Travel insurance with coverage for COVID test positivity right before I travel is also key for me. I want all the dives so I always book the latest flight out possible.

Garuda gives 20kg baggage free and an extra 20 or 23kg free allowance for scuba gear whereas Lion and Batik only give you 20kg free. Anything excess is paid for separately but way cheaper than what you expect and know from other baggage fees elsewhere. I routinely pay extra on Lion and Batik and it’s not that much.
Has anyone had luck getting their credit from Indonesian airlines for previous flights that were unable to be flown due to covid?
Yes. Garuda has been great. They’ve kept extending it. (2-3X now.) I called in each time right before the supposed expiry and confirmed they’ve extended them. My partner recently used 1 of the vouchers for his travel from Sorong to Jakarta without issue. You have to call in to the Indonesian call center to make the booking. (Use Google Voice for 2 cents per minute!) He has a really long name so it was a bit of an annoyance. His original ticket was issued in his full name. When they issued a voucher for that ticket, it cut off his name due to character restrictions. When they issued a new ticket for him for Sorong using that voucher, they could only issue it with the name shown on the voucher. So we had to email ticketing and have them fix it by showing them the original ticket showing full name, the EMD voucher showing cut off name, the new ticket showing the cut off name, and his passport showing the full name then requested they change it. It was easy to do and free just an extra annoying step.

The latest round of extensions is through Dec 31, 2022 for travel into 2023.

I usually book them as soon as I book the trip but in this day and age with flight schedules, I look at flight schedules first then line them up with liveaboard schedules and resort options. Some Indonesian carriers don’t share schedules until a few months before. Once I confirm it works, I book the liveaboard or resort then book the flight immediately after confirmation. I’m not doing any planning 6-12-18 months in advance for trips anymore and am only doing them about 3 months in advance now due to the possibility of border issues or restrictions and potential uncertainty unless the operator has a very generous policy that’s COVID specific. Travel insurance with coverage for COVID test positivity right before I travel is also key for me. I want all the dives so I always book the latest flight out possible.

Garuda gives 20kg baggage free and an extra 20 or 23kg free allowance for scuba gear whereas Lion and Batik only give you 20kg free. Anything excess is paid for separately but way cheaper than what you expect and know from other baggage fees elsewhere. I routinely pay extra on Lion and Batik and it’s not that much.

Yes. Garuda has been great. They’ve kept extending it. (2-3X now.) I called in each time right before the supposed expiry and confirmed they’ve extended them. My partner recently used 1 of the vouchers for his travel from Sorong to Jakarta without issue. You have to call in to the Indonesian call center to make the booking. (Use Google Voice for 2 cents per minute!) He has a really long name so it was a bit of an annoyance. His original ticket was issued in his full name. When they issued a voucher for that ticket, it cut off his name due to character restrictions. When they issued a new ticket for him for Sorong using that voucher, they could only issue it with the name shown on the voucher. So we had to email ticketing and have them fix it by showing them the original ticket showing full name, the EMD voucher showing cut off name, the new ticket showing the cut off name, and his passport showing the full name then requested they change it. It was easy to do and free just an extra annoying step.

The latest round of extensions is through Dec 31, 2022 for travel into 2023.
This is so helpful! I haven't extended any vouchers that I've gotten but I can definitely give them a call. I have Google Fi so all of my calls are Google voice calls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom