Domestic Australia Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcclink

Contributor
Reaction score
What's the best domestic airline to use with overweight baggage (dive & u/w camera gear). I usually check about 47 kg (2 bags). How strict on carry-on weight? Photo backpack is about 12 kg. Flying from Brisbane to Adelaide. Recommendations appreciated.

Stay clear of Tiger and Jetstar, they both love to hit you with additional fees and I’ve seen both weighing carry-on.

Qantas is probably the least strict on carry-on in my experience.

They’ll all more than likely sting you for the extra bag and the extra weight. Make sure you book and prepay for it online, unless you want to risk big excess baggage fees at the bag drop.

Keep your camera backpack on your back. Don't remove it. If they see you can easily carry it, they are less likely to call you out on it. Mine weighs 16kg, and I get left alone if I don't take it off.

Also, do you hold any One World or Star Alliance status? If so, you may be eligible for additional baggage on Qantas or Virgin respectively.

On the last few Jetstar flights we've taken people's hand luggage including handbags and small backpacks were being weighed and people were being forced to check in bags. For one flight they managed to fill a full trolley with additional bags. They of course charged those people for the privilege of checking the bags!

In fairness to Jetstar, flying back from the Great Barrier Reef last time we were 2kg over our paid for allowance, no request for payment was made by the counter staff.

A long way of saying the budget carriers are quite strict. I'd agree that Qantas is less so, we've never had any issues with them.

Qantas will let you (not officially) take one small wheel aboard and a "hand-bag/backpack", provided you store the small one under the seat in front of you (which in todays squashy seats, can be a challenge). Don't overload your wheel-aboard if you cant lift it yourself, people get a bit ****** helping you with your hand luggage if it weighs more than a small child :-D

Back
Top Bottom