"Doing It Right"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait a tick here guys,
DIR, though maybe a Halcyon advertising slogan, isn't just a Halcyon thing. Doing it right, doesn't intend to imply non followers are doing it wrong. It's really an apples and oranges thing...

I for one am not a DIR diver, though my gear configuration is (I admit) similar. Before this turns into a 'Tastes Great - Less Filling' type of thing, I'd like to say: Use your noggin's, don't follow anyone blindly but listen to what experienced divers have to say. A very experienced dive instructor or even an instructor trainer, whom doesn't dive tech, won't know much about the way to configure the gear right? Don't feel bad though, a tech diver generally doesn't know much about teaching o/w scuba either. The two groups tend to not take the other seriously, often smirking and making fun of the other. Just remember there are some of us whom do and love both... whom are destined to be caught in the middle... I for one think that's it's both great tasting & less filling... equally.

Hey Don, so do I know now?

Mario :D

Definition according to George: "Stroke = diver with an unsafe attitude."
Just because a diver doesn't use the DIR approach to gear config., does not make him a stroke.

"Technically" speaking, if a diver uses OMS "Technically Correct" concept, is he incorrect if he uses the DIR concept? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Walter, BTW, glad you got the mess out there in Fla. cleared up.

I think I now know

Don

Hi guys,

Am new to this....so if I offend anyone, I offer my sincere apologies.

To me, DIR is just some fancy jargon somebody came up with to try to set a trend. Now, we are all different and we have different needs in terms of diving. We should be configuring our gear to what suits our needs and our type of diving best. It should not be about how people think we should do it. We can always follow what people say but are we comfortable the way things turn out? It does not always happen that way. Sometimes you make a slight change and you would find that it improves your comfort level, then what? Are you going to abandon the change just because it does not conform to what DIR says? Think about it.

Cheers!

Walter once bubbled...
Don,

My only problem with DIR is not with George, but with those who blindly follow him. Follow his advice, but do it after thinking about why you are doing what you are doing. .

Walter

I dont think that was what was asked.

First of all, I am neither DIR nor do I own a single piece of Halcyon equipment. However, I have been doing a bit of research because I was considering advanced training, I want to be safer, and I want to have more fun. Because I am not an advanced diver nor affiliated with any agency, I feel that this is a completely objective observation.

The fact is the WKPP and GUE have made very significant dives and have done them safely. Furthermore, they are quick to note adages and practices that will get you bent or killed. They are professionals, experienced, and they know their stuff. The diving world is better off because they are sharing their insights and experiences. They don't regulate the dive industry, instead, they offer an option, and a good one, for safe training. I feel no more pressure to be DIR than to make an internet purchase.

As the recreational diving world slowly moves to more challenging dives, the enthusiasts who are still minimally trained will be looking for qualified, safe instruction.

I don't think DIR purports to be all new ideas.
What I DO think that they did a good job is stepping back and taking an objective look at all diving industry practices, equipment, and history. They then combined their own experiences developed a philosophy and a complete system of diving that transcends any particular dive environment. Halcyon and GUE were by-products in the evolution of a sound diving system. Love it or hate it, this is a good thing and it makes us all smarter.

You also have to give credit to GUE for publishing and spreading this philosophy.

But that's just my opinion.

Mario S Caner once bubbled...
Don,
You bring up some good points. Here's another. The place a student learns how to stay alive long enough to exaggerate his story, and the instructor whom teaches that person how to do it is sacred. It's not the strong beleiver you should be concerned about, it's the one who stops looking for a better solution. Some say if it ain't broke don't try to fix it... Some people are fools!:fire:

So guys, kiss 'n makeup heh... Don :1st: Greg

Mario :D

But DIR is all about DIR, and if you experiment with better solutions, you are now DIW and just another stroke making it more dangerous for everyone including the DIR diver that will inevitably have to save you from your inferior equipment setup!

George clearly thinks everyone else's way was broke but his is perfect (aint' broke, and if you try to fix it you're just an idiot who doesn't recognize perfection), and anyone with a different setup is destined to die.

to borrow the title of a television movie!!!

Greg and Don aren't on the board anymore and haven't been for quite some time.

Iguana Don once bubbled...
Greg,
Have you looked at the gear config? DIR can be done without ahving to buy the Halcyon equipment.

Don

guys guys guys

DIR is not a gear configuration. It is both a religion involving licking the salt off of Geoge Irvine's very large and very hard ...... backplate and a collection of best practices, which include but are not limited to gear choices, better-than-thou anti stroke arrogance and and big dose of those-who-take-PADI-courses-and-wear-Jacket-style-BCD's-should-leave-their-wife's-tleephon-number-with-us-so-we-can-"comfort"-her scare mongering.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom