"Doing It Right"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Guys,
Of course certain key words are going to be protected by manufacturers... In the realm of manufacturers of scuba gear, it's a pretty tight market, the technical diving community is even smaller.

True, Halcyon has DIR, while OMS has Technically Correct SS trademarked... but I beleive Don was in fact referring to a certain style of configuration that seems very similar in the two. At least to the untrained eye :rolleyes:

My point here guys is that though, each of the two have certain peices of gear that's clearly superior to the other, no one catalog can outfit me. If you look at what I dive with, you'll see that I don't follow anyone blindly.

Mario :D

Greg,
For what reason is unimportant, but it sounds like sour grapes to me.
The DIR config. & philosophy is not taught in open water, backplates have always been in, singles are not out, streamlining is in, danglies are out.

Even Dive Rite sells a DIR rig. Manufactures are now even making "tech" wings without the bungee cord retracting system, ie.(OMS). Could there be a problem with bungees?

DIR config is even taught in IANTD cave diving courses and nowhere is Halcyon listed among the manufactures in the text. The only thing that Halcyon has that is different from anybody else is their wings.

You sound as if you have been "scorned". If you like George or not is not the issue. Yes he is an a!!@#$e, but it's the philosophy behind him & GUE that are on the cutting edge of diving technology. They have penetrated the WKKP 19,000'.
They must be "Doing Something Right".

"Always keep an open mind and search for a better way",
IANTD Student Manual & Workbook.

DIR is a philosophy, not a marketing hype. Started a long time ago, before Halcyon was ever thought of.
But I guess as with every new technology or system you have your proponents and your opponents.

Don

Don,
You bring up some good points. Here's another. The place a student learns how to stay alive long enough to exaggerate his story, and the instructor whom teaches that person how to do it is sacred. It's not the strong beleiver you should be concerned about, it's the one who stops looking for a better solution. Some say if it ain't broke don't try to fix it... Some people are fools!:fire:

So guys, kiss 'n makeup heh... Don :1st: Greg

Come on guys! Does it really matter about what equipment you use or how you configuire it or how old it is?
As long as it is in good working order and you and your buddy know where and how everything works, isn't that what matters?
After 10 years of diving and seeing many different configuations, the most important lesson I have learnt is that if you know your equipment very well, in an emergency when panic can set in your reactions are second nature.
To the novice/OW diver the basic setup is all they need to know. The instructor is the key to showing them that this is just the beginning of their learning experience. Just like when you first learn to drive a car, it's not until you have your full licence that you actually start to learn HOW to drive!

Mario :goofy:
You been reading Confucius again & hanging around that opium den? Man that was way out there.:cool: Dive gear is now & has been, ever since it was invented in a state of evoloution. I am looking to get "lighter & tighter" (sounds like I need the light) to streamline. An here we go getting into corporations, personalities & new open water divers.
If you check it out you can see what I mean.

Now nobody knows.

Don

Jo,
First of all you ask in your last post whether it matter's what equipement you use, how you configure it and how old it is. Sorry to burst your bubble there, but the answer is 'YES' I find it hard to beleive that you or any one else for that matter can think to the contrary.:grrr:

Don, :all:
Do you have a clue, or would you like to borrow mine? :tease:

Hey folks!

Let's have civilized discussions w/o the personal flaming, otherwise this board will become just like rec.scuba and therefore worthless. Wadaya say? An off topic question for Mario and Don, where do you get those cool little icons you imbed in your posts?

Well, I don't work for Halcyon, nor does the shop where I am a Divemaster candidate sell it. We do sell Dive Rite, which is very good. A lot of DIR divers use Dive Rite. Scuba Pro, which we also sell, is excellent equipment. DIR divers use Scubapro regs at times, and Scubapro has backplates and wings.

Halcyon is excellent equipment. It is really better made than any other. They also have some products that no one else has, such as a quick release weight system for backplates, and some floatation devices. Their backup lights are simpler and more flood proof than any other, in my opinion.

Of course, DIR divers like Halcyon. It's good stuff. I don't have any patience with someone that tells you you have to use Halcyon if you don't want to.

DIR is not connected to Halcyon in any way that I know of. I just like their stuff.

By the way, I'm not a DIR diver, but because of the achievements of the WKPP, and other DIR type outfits, I truly do trust their opinions on a lot of things. Not blindly, but still some trust.

I think you must have picked up on the attitude of some DIR divers. I have seen them on the internet, but every tech diver I've met has been kind, open to other's opinions, and not judgemental. I know some are, but not all.

You are perfectly correct and I whole-heartedly agree. I'm a firm believer personal choice. It's the DIR "religion" that I take acception to.

Originally posted by Jo
Come on guys! Does it really matter about what equipment you use or how you configuire it or how old it is?
As long as it is in good working order and you and your buddy know where and how everything works, isn't that what matters?

Originally posted by Campana

Halcyon is excellent equipment. It is really better made than any other. They also have some products that no one else has, such as a quick release weight system for backplates, and some floatation devices. Their backup lights are simpler and more flood proof than any other, in my opinion.

I don't disagree with that. A BMW is also a better car than a VW, but not everyone can afford or even wants a "beamer", does that make them inferior drivers?

DIR is not connected to Halcyon in any way that I know of.

That I will disagree with. It's embroidered in their gear and is their logo. Go to the Halcyon Web site and check it out. Next time you see someone with Halcyon gear, look on the wings, top center, you will see "DIR - Doing It Right" in white letters with a blue background, you can't miss it.

I think you must have picked up on the attitude of some DIR divers.

Yes, that is true, except I would say most, not just some. But aside from that, I will continue to point out (in a civilized and non-personal manner as I possibly can) that there is really nothing special about "DIR", and even one or two things about their "superior" gear config that I think are ludicrous.

[Edited by Greg G. on 12-10-2000 at 08:09 AM]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom