"Doing It Right"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkmasterbc once bubbled...
My gear config has been the "DIR" prefered way for longer than the whole concept has been around... so technically I have been doing it right for years, I just don't see the big deal, it's such a narrow minded attitude to say there is only one way to config your rig. Different circumstances sometimes require different gear and configs.
so long and thanks for all the fish....

You were DIR before there was DIR, right? I'm sure George and Jarrod would be fascinated by hearing how you came to the exact DIR gear config before it existed.

jonnythan once bubbled...

You were DIR before there was DIR, right? I'm sure George and Jarrod would be fascinated by hearing how you came to the exact DIR gear config before it existed.

In accordance with the 'Back in my Day' Act of 1990, anything that an older diver uses as an example that occured before 1990 is inadmisable as evidence.

the diver in question shows a birthdate in 1977...hmm...DIR before DIR...hmm:confused:

But i couldnt be bother reading all the posts

Iguana Don once bubbled...
Manufactures are now even making "tech" wings without the bungee cord retracting system, ie.(OMS). Could there be a problem with bungees?

They (GUE) have penetrated the WKKP 19,000'.
They must be "Doing Something Right".

OMS arent doing to badly either the bungied wings of death were used by John Bennett on his 300+M dive.

For every argument for, there is one against

Actually, I think the dir klux klan has got several good points on the bungee wings. Hard to orally inflate, etc.

Not to mention butt ugly. I need to look good.

You BOZOs ressurrected a 2 year old dead thread so you could piss on each other?? get a life!

doole once bubbled...
>> I don't think anyone would seriously suggest that if you're not DIR (you have other practices, training, gear etc.) that you can't be committed to safe diving <<

Oh, yes they would. You obviously haven't seen all the funeral 'humor' over on rec.scuba.

Sure I have but you can't take rec.scuba seriously.

I know that some people believe DIR is all-or-nothing and I know that some people really believe that you can't be safe any other way. But it would be rediculous to suggest that someone who hasn't adopted the whole DIR system doesn't *want* to be safe.

I'm not DIR either (although I'm slowly beginning to move in that direction) but I do believe that most safety conscious divers who are exposed to DIR at least see the logic in it and many will adopt at least some things from the system. It's hard to stare a best-practice in the face and reject it if you're really committed to safety. How far someone feels they need to go for the kind of diving they do is the question.

R..

James connell once minced...
You BOZOs ressurrected a 2 year old dead thread so you could piss on each other?? get a life!

Jeez, you didn't have to read it, nor did you have to take the trouble to reply, so who's the bozo?

Diver0001 once bubbled...

Sure I have but you can't take rec.scuba seriously.

I know that some people believe DIR is all-or-nothing and I know that some people really believe that you can't be safe any other way. But it would be rediculous to suggest that someone who hasn't adopted the whole DIR system doesn't *want* to be safe.
R..

Oh ... a common sense approach. I'm a bit taken aback.:mean:

I will say I adopted the backplate idea and no extraneous crap and I've never been more comfortable underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom