Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish:
Then we find ourselves in agreement...

JAG

I bought them for their discussions of advanced skills, gas switches, team problem solving, exploration diving planning. Scooter maintenance. The things you don't get from anywhere else. Certainly a more "involved" manner could be used to illustrate the ongoing interviews (animation and supporting video) but hey... it's not a bad start.

A DVD would be a lousy forum for frog kicks and OOA drills. You need to be taught them in the water... and once you know them you don't need to watch them on TV.

Certainly an arguement could be made that this class is so invovled, DIR instruction so sparse and the passing rate so low, that the more people are able to have a look at materials before the class, the better prepared they could be, both physically and mentally.

JAG

jagfish:
Certainly an arguement could be made that this class is so invovled, DIR instruction so sparse and the passing rate so low, that the more people are able to have a look at materials before the class, the better prepared they could be, both physically and mentally.
For those who want to spend the $60, the equipment aspect is covered above and beyond the level of DIR-F on the DVD.

For those who want an idea of the in-water skills, Andrew's web site has some short clips of the basic skills, including valve drills for both single and doubles.

RichLockyer:
For those who want to spend the $60, the equipment aspect is covered above and beyond the level of DIR-F on the DVD..

Agreed...point never in question

RichLockyer:
For those who want an idea of the in-water skills, Andrew's web site has some short clips of the basic skills, including valve drills for both single and doubles.

Yes, I know there are other websites where you can see these techniques. My point is if you are going to go to teh trouble to compile 8 hours of video, it might occur to you to put the basic techniques in there...

JAG

jagfish:
trouble to compile 8 hours of video, it might occur to you to put the basic techniques in there...
I've heard that they will be on a companion DVD for DIR-F, which means that it will be available to all through GUE as are the manuals and workbooks.

RichLockyer:
I've heard that they will be on a companion DVD for DIR-F, which means that it will be available to all through GUE as are the manuals and workbooks.

That would be great...
But I am registered for the upcoming course and have heard nothing about that. There is a special package of manual, workbook and membership to GUE, but nothing of any techniques video...

JAG

jagfish:
That would be great...
But I am registered for the upcoming course and have heard nothing about that. There is a special package of manual, workbook and membership to GUE, but nothing of any techniques video...
Nothing yet. It was discussed on Quest prior to the release of the current set, and I am pretty sure it was said to be upcoming.

Of course, like Pat said, once you know it, you won't want to watch it on TV :)

Well... maybe tapes of yourself.

RichLockyer:
Of course, like Pat said, once you know it, you won't want to watch it on TV :)

Absolutely, but the course is 2 months away...However, not sure I would watch the interviews with George and Jarrod over and over again either...

RichLockyer:
Well... maybe tapes of yourself.

in case I feel like dropping into deep depression...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom