Doing it Ridiculous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Burke:
Actually, I doubt that such divers would be members of GUE, let alone have taken a GUE course.

Exactly!

The few GUE trained people I know are outstanding individuals willing to help anyone who asks, and doing so without providing the 'tude.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty of non GUE divers with attitude to spare.

I really think it's not fair to make the assertion that GUE or DIR divers are a rude lot. No doubt the rudeness is spread across the dive community irrespective of training agency.

Doc Harry:
But they should be brave enough to change the name to lose the controversy.

If you showed me a petition to drop the whole DIR label completely I would sign it.

And lose the attitude while they're at it.

I don't think that any of the DIR divers on this board behave with any kind of attitude at the dive sites.

I only get annoyed online at sanctimonious bull**** from anti-DIR people who don't know what they're talking about and I don't care how you dive.

Doc Harry:
I think there is an obvious similarity to the DIR philosophy. It's good, it works. I think it should be taught from the very beginning, like a GUE BOW as an alternative to PADI BOW.

But they should be brave enough to change the name to lose the controversy. And lose the attitude while they're at it.

That was well said, but I must point out that if OW were taught like DIR-F, then we wouldn't have many new divers to enjoy our wonderful sport. You have to ask yourself why people want to learn to dive. They're going on vacation and want to see the cool critters on the reef. They may have friends that dive in the local lake or quarry. Certainly not because they want to complete a diving boot camp and perfect their buoyancy and kicks.

That being said, I think that OW could incorporate some concepts which are taught by GUE and by the cave diving agencies. Use of the long hose, the opportunity to try BP/W in the pool, alternative kicks would be a great addition to OW courses.

You have to remember that DIR is an ideology and an entire lifestyle - not just a way to dive. I have never been able to accept organized religion or adopt any philosophy wholesale. My personality can't accept orthodoxy as taught by GUE.

You can learn many of the same techniques - without drinking Kool Aid so to speak - in the Cavern and Intro to Cave courses. That's the route I plan to take. Another advantage is that you will hopefully earn a useful C-card which will qualify you to dive in caverns and make limited cave penetrations.

As far as I can see, GUE isn't going to divorce itself from GI3 and make changes that will lessen the controversy or change the name of "Doing it Right."

redhatmama:
As far as I can see, GUE isn't going to divorce itself from GI3 and make changes that will lessen the controversy or change the name of "Doing it Right."
Why should they? Its not for everyone and quite frankly, the people that get all in tizzy over the name, they (Gue) wouldn't want them anyways.

...with a little change in marketing strategy - and slight adjustments in teaching style for different groups of divers.

A more mellow course for BOW, geared towards drawing casual rec divers into diving with an emphasis on essential DIR philosophy and safety. A more rigorous curriculum as divers progressed up the line through AOW, DIR-F, etc.

You don't have to treat BOW divers to "hard core" DIR course. That would just turn them off.

That's the whole point of this thread. You want to turn divers onto DIR, not turn them away.

In 20 years, DIR (or whatever you want to call it) could be mainstream. Nine out of every 10 c-cards could say "GUE" instead of "PADI."

And most importantly, recreational dive safety would have been revolutionized.

DIR is a brilliant concept as it is applied to scuba. Simply brilliant, I think. But its marketing (or lack thereof) could use some improvement to help gain more widespread acceptance. A name change might be just one of the many possibilities in that direction.

JeffG:
Why should they? Its not for everyone and quite frankly, the people that get all in tizzy over the name, they (Gue) wouldn't want them anyways.

"Tizzy" ? No need for that kind of foul language Jeff. :)

-Chris

Doc, I agree with you totally!

GUE has the best trained instructors and a superior product (IMHO) but as an organization they don't market their 'system' well.

Doc Harry:
...with a little change in marketing strategy - and slight adjustments in teaching style for different groups of divers.

A more mellow course for BOW, geared towards drawing casual rec divers into diving with an emphasis on essential DIR philosophy and safety. A more rigorous curriculum as divers progressed up the line through AOW, DIR-F, etc.

You don't have to treat BOW divers to "hard core" DIR course. That would just turn them off.

That's the whole point of this thread. You want to turn divers onto DIR, not turn them away.

In 20 years, DIR (or whatever you want to call it) could be mainstream. Nine out of every 10 c-cards could say "GUE" instead of "PADI."

And most importantly, recreational dive safety would have been revolutionized.

DIR is a brilliant concept as it is applied to scuba. Simply brilliant, I think. But its marketing (or lack thereof) could use some improvement to help gain more widespread acceptance. A name change might be just one of the many possibilities in that direction.

CALI68:
"Tizzy" ? No need for that kind of foul language Jeff. :)

-Chris
Jeff needs to simmer down a little..
:14:

Randy43068:
Doc, I agree with you totally!

GUE has the best trained instructors and a superior product (IMHO) but as an organization they don't market their 'system' well.

They should hire Drew Richardson as a marketing consultant.

Back
Top Bottom