Doing it Ridiculous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdb

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Recently diving off Point Lobos in Monterey I had the unfortunate experience to see a pair of "DIR" divers in full meathead mode. On a clear day, in a very easy and nice dive site these fellows pulled up in their oversized truck with their oversized egos and proceeded to gear up with seven foot primary regs, doubles, HID lights, backup lights and a plethora of other equipment. The seas were flat calm, nice open ocean, daytime. The lads in a loud tone talked about all the "strokes" who were diving with single tanks and rec. equipment. What a sad sight they were; legends in their own mind. After a while, I asked them how many dives they had made: "I've got over 50" one muscle head said. I know that the GUE training has much merit. These guys had none.

mdb:
Recently diving off Point Lobos in Monterey I had the unfortunate experience to see a pair of "DIR" divers in full meathead mode. On a clear day, in a very easy and nice dive site these fellows pulled up in their oversized truck with their oversized egos and proceeded to gear up with seven foot primary regs, doubles, HID lights, backup lights and a plethora of other equipment. The seas were flat calm, nice open ocean, daytime. The lads in a loud tone talked about all the "strokes" who were diving with single tanks and rec. equipment. What a sad sight they were; legends in their own mind. After a while, I asked them how many dives they had made: "I've got over 50" one muscle head said. I know that the GUE training has much merit. These guys had none.
But they probably looked slick in the water.

mdb:

Hmmm ... while I have also witnessed such scenes (rarely, thank God) ... given your professional affiliation (or appearance thereof based on your signature), such a post really only serves to promote the same divisive attitude you so obviously resent in these "gentlemen". I know they exist ... and I know they hack people off ... but why waste energy giving them a second thought?

I got into diving to relax and enjoy myself. How about you?

:wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I think he's into it to make money.

But I have never personally seen a scene of that magnitude.

Was this yesterday? They may have been talking about me and my dive buddies :D

NWGratefulDiver:
Hmmm ... while I have also witnessed such scenes (rarely, thank God) ... given your professional affiliation (or appearance thereof based on your signature), such a post really only serves to promote the same divisive attitude you so obviously resent in these "gentlemen". I know they exist ... and I know they hack people off ... but why waste energy giving them a second thought?

:wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You are spot on. Like you, I dive to relax. I was just too close, for too long, to these fellows and the old Marine came out in me. I'll take your advice and not give them another thought.

dlndavid:
Was this yesterday? They may have been talking about me and my dive buddies :D
So...you admit to being in "meathead" mode.

JeffG:
I think he's into it to make money.

Note that I said "dive" ... not "sell dive equipment" ... :browsmile

Point being, a non-DIR equipment manufacturer would making such a post smacks of self-promotion ... professional appearances being what they are and all ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

mdb:

Can you give a little more info....what kind of truck, what did they look like, what day was it?

mdb:

But that is surely not possible, that special 'elite' group of divers trains and maintains the best know divers out there in the world......after all everyone around them should drop to their knees and treat them like gods. Are you sure you didn't see some "strokes" wanting to be as noble and exclusive as the group is and were just pretending? After all everything they do is RIGHT - even their name says so!

You my friend must surely be mistaken, you did and saw it WRONG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom