Does wearing a necklace for the back up reg make it prone to freeflow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually have had my backup reg freeflow in the water . . . But it was because of the pressure of the propwash from my scooter, and we were going so fast the bubbles went out behind me, and I didn't hear them!

Is there anywhere else that the second can be placed for those of us that don't care for having something around our neck.
How about high on the left chest, mouthpiece stuck in a rubber or bungee loop? If I'm not using a necklace and short hose that's where mine sits. It actually rests under the inflator hose when I'm on the surface--see my profile picture.

Remember to detach it, though, before trying to remove your BC. Oh, wait--this is the hog forum. Strike that. :D

-Bryan

My necklaced reg often freeflows briefly when I jump in the water, because the mouthpiece ends up pointed up. It's never been a problem just to turn it mouthpiece-down and have it stop.

This also happens to me, at least 50% of the time. As you say, its not a problem but it is a minor irritation.

I was on a dive with a gentleman who went OOA in a high current situation because he did not notice his octo was freeflowing, which was clipped to the waistbelt. I think this would have been much less likely had it been necklaced.

If he was not scootering, then that must have either been the loudest current ever....or a remarkably oblivious diver. A freeflowing regulator is SO loud underwater. How did he miss that?

Good question. Speaking from my own experience the answer is that it *can* freeflow on the surface if you don't turn the mouthpiece down before you get in but that this is a minor problem.

Underwater i've never experienced my backup freeflowing.

R..

+1 for what Ro said. Additionally, provided that the intermediate pressure is set where it should be and the cracking pressure is adjusted properly, a fully flooded (water on both sides of the diaphragm) second stage should not freeflow no matter what position it is in underwater. If it does then you probably have the cracking effort set so low that you are encountering a case geometry fault. This very reason is why my backup reg is set to .8 inches of water while my primary is set to .5 inches of water.

It is also important to note that if you have an adjustable venturi lever and/or a diver adjustable cracking pressure knob, then having your regulator freeflow anywhere other than on the surface (half in/out of the water) should definitely not be a problem. Typically if your regulator freeflows at the surface and it will not stop, it is because you have the venturi assist cranked all the way up.

Finally, if your reg freeflows a lot in high current or scooter applications, you may consider a second stage where the vents are on the side of the purge cover, and not the front. When I had Atomic regulators they would freeflow in high currents because the vents to allow water to butt up against the outside surface of the diaphragm are on the front of the reg, which also allows flow to activate the demand lever. My US Divers regs are all metal, and have the vents for the diaphragm on the sides (out of the flow path). I can take my primary out of my mouth and hold it against the flow at the entrance to Devil's Ear and it does not freeflow.

If he was not scootering, then that must have either been the loudest current ever....or a remarkably oblivious diver. A freeflowing regulator is SO loud underwater. How did he miss that?

A good question, and one that I cannot answer. It was in the Cooper River and the current was substantial, a spike or creeper was needed to hold place. No scooters involved. Really we were just guessing at why he went OOG, he was at about 50' for like 8-10 minutes, and it was our second day of diving the site. We were not able to find any other source of potential leaks. He was an OW instructor FWIW (not to say that instructors can't be oblivious). Personally I don't know him very well. Fortunately he did a CESA and was ok.

A good question, and one that I cannot answer. It was in the Cooper River and the current was substantial, a spike or creeper was needed to hold place. No scooters involved. Really we were just guessing at why he went OOG, he was at about 50' for like 8-10 minutes, and it was our second day of diving the site. We were not able to find any other source of potential leaks. He was an OW instructor FWIW (not to say that instructors can't be oblivious). Personally I don't know him very well. Fortunately he did a CESA and was ok.

I river dive as well, but I know some parts of the Cooper rip. Let me know if you find anything else out about this, I'd be interest to hear about it.

This also happens to me, at least 50% of the time. As you say, its not a problem but it is a minor irritation.

A follow up - I had my regulator serviced and this problem has dissappeared - they must have fine tuned the IP or cracking pressure (or something!!) and now it does not freeflow on entry anymore.

A follow up - I had my regulator serviced and this problem has dissappeared - they must have fine tuned the IP or cracking pressure (or something!!) and now it does not freeflow on entry anymore.

Cracking pressure and IP are inter-dependent. It could have been one, the other, or both. What kind of regulator is it? For what it's worth coming from my rather rudimentary knowledge of regulators, the best breathing ones without a pre-dive setting usually do freeflow when entering the water. Most of mine are set to .6" of cracking pressure, and they certainly do. Then again mine do not feature a diver adjustable cracking pressure knob either.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom