Does wearing a necklace for the back up reg make it prone to freeflow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, Allenwrench, for someone who asks so many questions, it might help for those answering if you filled out your profile a bit more.
Yeah, Allenwrench, how are we supposed to know how condescending to be if you don't fill in your profile? :wink:

I have had the free-flow issue with the Atomic M1 hanging around my neck, but only wading in on shore dives. I used the "Rapid Adjustment Knob" to de-tune it, but it still free-flows.

Hey, Allenwrench, for someone who asks so many questions, it might help for those answering if you filled out your profile a bit more.

OK, fillled it out more.

Not much to brag about, so never put much effort in it.

Is there anywhere else that the second can be placed for those of us that don't care for having something around our neck. (not a troll question, I just find it really uncomfortable to put things around my neck.)

I can't think of any other way to carry the backup that makes it as accessible as having it on a necklace does. I hang my backup from a necklace of shock cord, and honestly, I don't even know it's there until I need it.

Why would you have a plug in it? Wouldn't that make it hard to access hands free and largely defeat the reason for having your back up on a bungee necklace?

I have to ask about accessing anything hands free... But no, it doesn't defeat the purpose. It is right where I can get to it and I suspect not very far (maybe an inch or two) from where you would have it on a necklace. I've been using a plug to hold the safe second since I began diving... it's what I prefer and above all, it works.

Has it been serviced recently? The only times I've had this kind of thing happen was when a reg was recently serviced - and tuned incorrectly.

Otherwise I'd be calling Sea Elite and asking for a refund.

*Edit* Are you talking about the ScubaPro (I think) type of octo/stage holder that pops into the hole in the second stage reg where the mouthpiece attaches and where you breathe through?

It's an "inexpensive" model. I doubt much can be done to it... I plan on replacing it with my GT3 primary when I get a better primary. But... it does the job. I don't like how it breathes, but it does. It will work in an emergency, but be warned, I'm giving it to you if your OOA.

Your description of what I call a plug is accurate.

Is there anywhere else that the second can be placed for those of us that don't care for having something around our neck. (not a troll question, I just find it really uncomfortable to put things around my neck.)

As I said, I use a plug and attach it to the D ring near my left shoulder. It hangs down mid-torso... maybe a little higher. Right where I can find it if I need to. :D

Ken

I was on a dive with a gentleman who went OOA in a high current situation because he did not notice his octo was freeflowing, which was clipped to the waistbelt. I think this would have been much less likely had it been necklaced.

I think most any reg will free flow if turned up when going from the surface to the water just because of the big change in pressure from one side of the reg (air) to the other side (water). It is a demand regulator after all. Once totally in the water it shouldn't be a problem is correctly adjusted.

My necklaced reg often freeflows briefly when I jump in the water, because the mouthpiece ends up pointed up. It's never been a problem just to turn it mouthpiece-down and have it stop.

Does wearing a necklace for the back up reg make it prone to freeflow since the mouthpiece is not held down?

Good question. Speaking from my own experience the answer is that it *can* freeflow on the surface if you don't turn the mouthpiece down before you get in but that this is a minor problem.

Underwater i've never experienced my backup freeflowing.

R..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom