Does this happen everywhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelbd

Registered
Reaction score
I've been to many trips (only in Asia) and met many different divers from different backgrounds, levels (OW to Course Directors), and agencies.

I just cant help but notice that scuba divers here LOVE bragging.. This is better, that is wrong, he is wrong, she is wrong, i learnt with him, i learnt with her, i taught him, etc. etc.
Is this a common thing in the diving world or is it only happening here?

Sometimes I just get annoyed listening to all the crap and bad mouthing.
Just asking....

Last edited by a moderator:
SB attracts some very experienced and accomplished divers.....couple that with the anonymity of the inter web and there are some strong opinions presented. Conversely, most post because they truly care and realize this can be a risky sport. Occasionally.....the filters are left off.

in my experience i've seen huge tolerance of people's gear, diving style etc etc. it's normally only moaned about if it's dangerous or reckless. i can imagine in some small diving villages in certain places they would slag each other if they are competing for a very finite number of divers.

There are only a few FIGJAMmers here or anywhere. They can be annoying and they certainly don't like being called on it. Yes, they try to promote themselves as God's gift to Scuba divers, but they are in the minority. Even those who like to FIGJAM often have some great things to say... if you can only get past all their "You're gonna die!" statements.

... we're all gonna die, Pete ... it's simply a question of when and how ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You are not alone, but as others have said, you just have to provide your own filter. You will figure out whose opinions you value and whose you skim past. Just keep an open mind in that sometimes even people you have issue with have some valuable insight. Just avoid arguing with them, you can't win. Take what you will and use it to your advantage. You can learn a lot here.

I don't understand this thread. The OP appears to be talking about Asia when he (?) says "here." But the responses are about ScubaBoard.
Haha...yup, that's how I read it too. Could be he meant "here" as in "here", and not as in "there", but he will have to clarify, if he really meant "there"...:)

Back
Top Bottom