Question Does/Should Hydro negate o2 clean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first half of your statement is correct the second half of your statement is incorrect (and contradicts the first half).

Air is NOT used pressurize the tanks for the hydrostatic test. Water is used.
So then it was an air driven hydraulic booster I was shown when I toured a hydro facility?

I was under the impression that water is used to take up most all the space in the tank so you don’t have to pressurize the entire tank volume to test pressure. My bad

Personally I don't care, I mix my own and never go to the LDS. Buddy just got his yearly deco tank cleaned / serviced / VIP / etc. $106 for 1 tank. That sounds a little salty to me.
That’s insane price gouging 106 a year for o2 cleaning tanks, my LDS charges 30 bucks for an O2 vis. It really doesn’t take much more to do the O2 vis on a tank that’s already used for O2 service.

That’s insane price gouging 106 a year for o2 cleaning tanks, my LDS charges 30 bucks for an O2 vis. It really doesn’t take much more to do the O2 vis on a tank that’s already used for O2 service.
I have never heard of an "O2 Vis". There is a Visual Cylinder Inspection and then there is the O2 Cleaning of the cylinder and valve.

An "O2 Vis" sounds to me like somebody is sticking a UV light in the cylinder, calling it good, and punching the cleaned for O2 Service box on the sticker. This is not cleaning a cylinder for O2 service and is why some dive centers will not partial pressure fill unless they perform the inspection themselves.

So then it was an air driven hydraulic booster I was shown when I toured a hydro facility?

I was under the impression that water is used to take up most all the space in the tank so you don’t have to pressurize the entire tank volume to test pressure. My bad
The tank is pressurized inside with water, not air. That way, if the tank ruptures, all it does is crack open or split, not explodes as water is not expansive when released to atmospheric pressures and temperatures. Air, compressed to 5,000 pounds, on the other hand, will expand monstrously if the vessel ruptures.

That’s insane price gouging 106 a year for o2 cleaning tanks, my LDS charges 30 bucks for an O2 vis.
I am assuming you mean O2 clean, VIP, and fill?

Yeah, I agree, $106 is highway robbery. Won't catch me going there anytime soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom