Question Does/Should Hydro negate o2 clean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In practice necessary for safe operation? My speculation?

For regulatory purposes? Yep.

Relevant standards:
ASTM - 25%
CGA - 23.5%
NFPA - 21-25%
NASA - 21%

My training (PSI-PCI) included application of CGA G4.1 (the 23.5% above) as incorporated by reference in Federal regulations (49 CFR) - DOT.

So for any tank I'd label "NITROX" I'd oxygen clean it upon return from hydro and maintain it as such.
Also if a shop partial pressure blends they would/should require it because they pump pure O2 in to get the mix.

Tanks need to be re-cleaned every five years anyway.
Gosh I think they (LDS) require it every year he in MD/PA area.

I just O2 clean after hydro (so every 5)

Gosh I think they (LDS) require it every year he in MD/PA area.
I can see this for a NitrOx tank IF you're doing partial pressure blending. But not an O2 cylinder.

I
I can see this for a NitrOx tank IF you're doing partial pressure blending. But not an O2 cylinder.
LDS O2 cleans cylinder. Claims it's only good for a year even though they themselves are the only LDS to fill said tank, so any contamination would have to come from their compressor. I think around here it's either 50%, 70%, or 100%. As far as I know any / all tanks have to be O2 cleaned yearly.

Personally I don't care, I mix my own and never go to the LDS. Buddy just got his yearly deco tank cleaned / serviced / VIP / etc. $106 for 1 tank. That sounds a little salty to me.

I

LDS O2 cleans cylinder. Claims it's only good for a year even though they themselves are the only LDS to fill said tank, so any contamination would have to come from their compressor. I think around here it's either 50%, 70%, or 100%. As far as I know any / all tanks have to be O2 cleaned yearly.

Personally I don't care, I mix my own and never go to the LDS. Buddy just got his yearly deco tank cleaned / serviced / VIP / etc. $106 for 1 tank. That sounds a little salty to me.
That's why I do my own VIP and cleaning.

I

O2 cleaning once a year is standard at VIP time. Want to get O2 fills? VIP sticker has to indicate that.

That's why I do my own VIP and cleaning.
Exactly what I do... really helps blending O2 knowing what the inside of the tank looks like and that it was actually done.

O2 cleaning once a year is standard at VIP time. Want to get O2 fills? VIP sticker has to indicate that.
Thank goodness the welding department at work doesn't know that🤣

I do clean my tanks, I do take it seriously, fill very slowly, etc. Not yearly, but often enough. I still think $106 for one tank is highway robbery🤷‍♂️.

. Buddy just got his yearly deco tank cleaned / serviced / VIP / etc. $106 for 1 tank.
Ouch that $106 hurts. And I'm just thinking about all my friends that have 2/3/4 O2 deco bottles of different sizes and MOD's.

Ouch that $106 hurts. And I'm just thinking about all my friends that have 2/3/4 O2 deco bottles of different sizes and MOD's.
Agreed.. I keep trying to "get him to" come over to the dark side mixing his own but I guess it's convenient?

With all the tanks I have I couldn't afford that

Edit - added in parentheses because what I wrote made zero sense

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom