Does peeing in a wetsuit cause health problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peeing in a wetsuit can cause serious bruising if someone else is wearing it at the time.

Go ahead and pee but please DO NOT EAT ASPARAGUS for 24-36 hours prior to diving. Failure to heed this warning will result in some embarrassing consequences. :wink:

Go ahead and pee but please DO NOT EAT ASPARAGUS for 24-36 hours prior to diving. Failure to heed this warning will result in some embarrassing consequences. :wink:

I hadn't thought of that but wow is that ever true. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Hmmm ... you don't suppose pee is a crude oil dispersant, do you? :confused:

The laws for boaters in this area have become very strict with regard to discharge of waste overboard. As of last November you can receive up to a $3,000 fine for blatant overboard discharge of waste. Even those with Coast Guard approved waste treatment systems must install holding tanks. This has angered many boaters so they have complained about divers allowed to just pee whenever they want into the water. As a result a new crew of law enforcement has been added to our shores called the WP, Wetsuit Police. They search popular dive sites and sniff the air as people get out of their wetsuits. They also look for a stream of yellow on the pavement prior to diving. They will slap you with a hefty fine for a yellow line. This new law enforcement division has:

1. Increased employment
2. Increased revenue
3. Caused divers to remain in water and prune very badly as they wait for WP to leave the area.
4. Encouraged research into a new product line of underwater pump out stations for divers. (Research has been really slow as everyone involved has been rolling on the floor at just the look of the product.)

DO NOT PEE IN YOUR WETSUIT IF YOU LIVE IN NY! (unless it is in the comfort of your own home....weirdo)

Peeing in the wetsuit is not only ok, but encouraged, just as long all you clean it yourself... much more desirable than the dreaded WARHAMMER

Last edited:
I got some low stomach cramps after peeing in a wetsuit. Any connection? Or is it safe to pee in a wetsuit?

Depends on who's suit you pee in.

:eyebrow:

I got some low stomach cramps after peeing in a wetsuit. Any connection? Or is it safe to pee in a wetsuit?

I have never heard of an issue.

If there is any remote risk it's more than offset by the necessity of ample hydration. I submit that if you are ending your dives no less than eager to relieve yourself you are not adequately hydrated. If you are completing cold water dives in a wetsuit without polluting the suit you are almost certainly shy on hydration. There are physiological effects of diving that increase urine production and that's hard to escape.

Your cramps were not related to relieving yourself.

Pete

My OW instructor referred to it as "kicking in the auxiliary heater".

Just don't get things backwards and spit in your wetsuit and pee in your mask! :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom