Does peeing in a wetsuit cause health problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone who believes you can flush a wetsuit in the water while wearing it has never worked in a dive shop and washed rental gear. Most people have no idea what dehydration really is. If I couldn't spend an hour without peeing yourself I would find another hobby.

Anyone who believes you can flush a wetsuit in the water while wearing it has never worked in a dive shop and washed rental gear. Most people have no idea what dehydration really is. If I couldn't spend an hour without peeing yourself I would find another hobby.

Anyone who actually rents a wetsuit deserves to wallow in someone else's urine...:)

I got some low stomach cramps after peeing in a wetsuit. Any connection? Or is it safe to pee in a wetsuit?

Its only ok to pee in a wetsuit if your the one wearing it at the time :wink:

Thanks for the feedback.

Am not concerned with urine as a bacteria source. Am concerned with sea water and bacteria in the water getting back in my body and causing problems. I got the cramps a few hours after the dive.

Not just an hour. Some trips leave an hour late and pick people up and on and on. Try 3 hours+

Beside that, diving / snorkeling makes me have to pee for some reason.

flushing out a wet suit is easy, unzip the wetsuit a little and move forward.
a dry suit OTOH is a different matter.

Anyone who actually rents a wetsuit deserves to wallow in someone else's urine...:)

^this^
besides that I am a big guy and I seriously doubt that a dive shop can accommodate me with a wet suit that I can even get one leg in let alone my whole body.

Thanks for the feedback.

Am not concerned with urine as a bacteria source. Am concerned with sea water and bacteria in the water getting back in my body and causing problems. I got the cramps a few hours after the dive.

A doctor could explain the mechanics of it from a physiological perspective, but suffice it to say, if the bladder can push the urine out, the pressure differential between the inside of your body and the outside of your body is not such that you're going to get backwash. You have as much risk of seawater flushing back into your urinary tract as you have of air doing so when using the bathroom in your home.

I'm waiting for the Wetsuit Police to decide that we need to stop all those sea creatures from peeing in the ocean, too.

1) Don't pee on the wetsuit.
2) Don't tuck the wetsuit into your boots.

I took a hotel snorkel trip to Yalku Lagoon near Akumal and the guide said we were not allowed to pee in the lagoon. He didn't say that when we were in the cenotes. I never was able to mentally process that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom