Does peeing in a wetsuit cause health problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are two kinds of wetsuit divers: those who pee in their wetsuits, and those who lie.

In Canada we refer to peeing in your wetsuit as "having a heat exchanger."

On a serious note - your urine is sterile (unless you have a urinary tract infection). It will not make you sick, so long as this (nutrient-rich, therefore bacteria-nurturing) fluid is washed away. Neoprene is waterproof, but the internal lining of your suit might retain a small amount of fluid - just flush water through the wetsuit a few times, during or after the dive, and you will be OK.

Urine is sterile until it passes through your urethra, then bacteria climb on for a ride.

UTI usually just adds a whole heap of bugs.

flushing the suit when the water temp is 38* is not advised...
hence the manufacture of "sink the stink"!!!!!!!!
let 'er rip!!!!!!!
enjoy your diving!!!!!!
yaeg

Pee in your wetsuit and hold your head up high. For you are in the majority. Most Divers I know not only pee in their wetsuit but make no secrets about it. And it warms you up a little. AAAaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Urine is sterile until it passes through your urethra, then bacteria climb on for a ride.

UTI usually just adds a whole heap of bugs.

The path from the kidney to the opening of the urethra (urethral meatus) is usually sterile, unless you have a urinary tract infection.

flushing the suit when the water temp is 38* is not advised...
hence the manufacture of "sink the stink"!!!!!!!!
let 'er rip!!!!!!!
enjoy your diving!!!!!!
yaeg

yaeg,

At that temp, a wetsuit is not advised! I have yet to pee inside my TLS 350...

Just remember to flush!

Which for me (and I think most of us honest folks) amounts to one finger inserted in the neck band, and a slight tug.

:mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom