Does it matter which SS plate I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best plates ever made were Highland Millworks Plates. You should be able to find tons of used ones on various tech forums. I don't think they have been manufactured for at least 8 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's also the flatness factor with plates. Some plates have a steeper bend than others. Dive Rites are fairly flat, and from what I hear DSS plates are the flatest.
For single tank diving apparently the flatter the plate the better. For doubles the steeper the plate the better.
If you are happy with the shape of your Dive Rite then stick with that.
I have a buddy who's selling a SS Dive Rite, I can direct him here if you want. I'm sure he'd sell it fairly cheap.

If you just want a backplate that function, no. All backplate function the same. They should have standard 11" bolt pattern. If you use STA, they all will work.

If there is a specific feature you are looking to use, some are better than others.
1. the band angle. Some plates are very flat: DiveRite, DSS ... Some are deeper banded: OMS, Halcyon, Hollis. Some have very deep band: HOG. This is a personal preference in general. I prefer

2. Size of the plate. Some manufacture offer size other than standard. Halcyon has a small plate. DSS has many size. If you are looking for non standard size, you choice is limited.

3. Special features: DSS has weight plate, quick adjust system. Halcyon has cinch quick adjust system. If you need these features, then your choice is limited.

4. camband slots. Some plate don't even have them, so you have to use STA. For plates that have them, they may be in different location that may or may not fit your wing.

Myself has gone through quite a few plates and finally arrived at what I like. My preference is deeper band, small plate or plate with bolt pattern that allow mounting STA or double lower, and I prefer STA. Your priority may differ.

When I recently set up my BP/W I purchased an Oxycheq wing and a DR plate. Cam band slots did NOT align. Swapped plates for am Oxycheq SS and am now extremely happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom