Does gender make a difference?

Which would you prefer as your instructor, female instructor or a male instructor?

• Female Instructor

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Male Instructor

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 118 78.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thread.

While there are times physical strength is important, in most cases clear thinking is far more important. When anyone pits their strength against the ocean, the ocean will win every time. When you use your brain to let the ocean help you accomplish your goals you'll have fewer problems and solve those you do have much more effectively. In those cases where physical strength is important, I want someone in good shape of either gender instead of an instructor who has more blubber than muscle. Everything else being equal, a man is usually stronger than a woman, but there are many, many exceptions to that general rule. Male vs female is an over simplification of a complex issue.

I was taught to dive by a very effective male/female team. They were both in excellent shape, both related well to students and both not only were very knowledgable, but both knew how to teach. 18 years later I still consider them both good friends.

WWW™

Originally posted by Walter
Interesting thread.

While there are times physical strength is important, in most cases clear thinking is far more important. . . . Male vs female is an over simplification of a complex issue.

WWW™

Many thanks, Walter, for your calm insight. I've been upset by this thread - the whole "I like women better" "I like men better" nonsense. People are people, and gender distinctions don't often serve a useful purpose. I'm glad that I'm a woman, but I'm equally glad that I have wonderful friends of both genders.

As for dive buddies, please always give me on who does not feel the need to be macho, or the need to be feminine-cutsy. Rather, give me someone with a head, with intelligence, who can think clearly, and I'll be much safer.

The only difference it would make to me is whether or not I sucked in my gut when I walked around during surface intervals. :wink:

I've taken courses from many differant instructors. I find that between male or female Instructors there are good and bad instructors . Some are excellant O/W instr. , but terrible Tec instr.and visa versa. I think it's important to find an Instr. you are comfortable with and go from there.

well i had to vote that it dident matter BUT
if i had my choice ide rather see my instructor wearing (not mutch)and female teaching me sumething than some guy ! hahahaha
but that is just the male in ME

It makes no difference to me whatsoever at all. Long's they can learn me what I gots ta learn...

It shouldn't make a difference if the instructor is male or female. As long as you are comfortably with them and they are good instructors it should not matter.

I've had both male and female instructors.

Male in Dominican Republic for PADI OW. Rather production-line and hard-nosed (Sea-Pro, Puerta Plata). More of a salesman than a caring instructor. Charged the group 50 bucks to take pictures of us on our last dive.

Female (2 different ones) for AOW in Egypt, both very caring and thorough.

These differences may well reflect the country rather than the male/female issue.

I think it makes not much difference, depends on the instructor's attitude and that of the dive operation they work for. :)

But, abilities being equal, I think I might prefer a female instructor after all.

Back
Top Bottom