Does Dive Rite know how to make regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have experience with these regs?

DGX Regulators by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

They appear to be great regulators for the price but I have not seen them being used a lot. Are they popular with the tech-diving community? Are they easily serviced? I would love to hear about your good or bad experiences.

CS

They used to be called RG3100 when sold together as a 1st and 2nd.

To be more precise, the 2nd stage was called the "3000-2", and the 1st stage was called "RG1208"
The earlier version of the 1st stage was the "RG1205". You can also search for the "RG1200"....the service manuals are essentially the same, as are the 1st stages themselves.

They have a step-by-step PDF available for doing your own reg service, which Dive Rite has made available for a long time.

To answer your question....YES. Dive Rite definitely knows how to make regs. Perhaps you have noticed other regs on the market that share a very similar design.

They are good regs. I have a few of them and have been very happy with them. I will buy some more soon.
Dive Rite has long made the parts kits available as well as their manuals available for servicing them yourself.
They used to be in the Library section on the Dive Rite site.

Google "RG3100" for more information.

I'd like to know public opinion if RG5300 worth switching from apeks. I have couple of DS4s to replace with turret 1st stage with 5th port. my concern is wob and overall reliability. I do ice and cave diving

I couldn't say, because I don't have the DS4 to compare to.

I do own Scuba Pro Mk25/G250v regs and Dive Rite RG3100 regs.
Some people claim the Scuba Pro has a lower work of breathing, but I can't really tell a difference.

I like them both equally.

I'd like to know public opinion if RG5300 worth switching from apeks. I have couple of DS4s to replace with turret 1st stage with 5th port. my concern is wob and overall reliability. I do ice and cave diving

I would love to know too. I have Apeks XTX 50 which is a great reg for those conditions but I would like to buy another regulator that is of equal performance and reliability.

Just for the record. I think that Dive Rite Regs are made by the same company that makes ScubaMax Regs in Taiwan. In the previous thread I had tried to know if any one in the forum has some experience with Scubamax. Know som peoples have Dive Rite and love them also Scubamax. Scubamax is more affordable than Dive Rite. I think a member in this forum (Jim Lapenta) make some comments about this in the past on the forum. So Jim can u help us with more infor about this two alternatives?

---------- Post added January 10th, 2014 at 05:54 PM ----------

By the way the Taiwan company is Ocean Divers Supply (ODS)

---------- Post added January 10th, 2014 at 05:58 PM ----------

& Dive Rite are wet regs in your down position.

Maybe it's just me but every reg I have ever had from five different mfg's has breathed a little wet upside down. That is basic physics. Even the one Scuba Pro reg I had did this. Mk16 R 195 or something. The Taiwanese OEM's are often thought of as making simple copies. This from my research and actually speaking with one of the engineers is not true. They have base models that they will sell. I don't know what every one of their minimum orders is but on some goods if you order 500 units you can have your own brand of THE STOCK design. But you can also work with them and specify tighter tolerances, quality levels, different materials, and different finishes. SO just because they look the same does not mean they are. By a long shot. This is true with many industries around the world. My own day job has the same parts for different companies who have different quality and finish levels. For example a washer made from 1/2 inch steel. Same part, same OD and ID, but different levels of finish and tolerance depending on the application. One wants a very fine finish and +/- .005 on the dimensions. That gets cut slow so it's more expensive. Way more. The other wants a rough finish and +/- .060 on the dimensions. We call that a rip and run. A common practice across many industries.

I don't know if DR and SM are made in the same place. But c'mon people the basic outside shape is neither unique or proprietary at this point. And as for WOB on a reg. You can get the numbers but unless you have a machine in your lungs the majority of divers, including tech divers, can only tell in their mind if the Mk30 XL 800 breathes 5% better than the reg that is half the price in this day and age. No one is going to sell junk. Tuning and proper adjustment is where things come into play more. Unless you are regularly doing those dives thousands of feet back in caves and 300 - 400 ft deep wrecks like some of my HOG reg customers are doing I would not worry that much about it.

Back
Top Bottom