Does anything like this exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They actually make a thingie for some kind of oddball sport that relates to competitive swimming. It's more like a streamlined bailout bottle than a Spare Air. Maybe slightly more useful.

A few years ago at Miami DEMA in August there were a couple of nice Japanese guys who couldn't speak any English and had a table full of really odd stuff.

This thing was from Thunderball (The Movie). Two small compressed air (single use) cylinders that looked like CO2 cyliders, maybe 1.5" x 4" $900 (?)

Kinda stupid.

Like this whole redundant topic.

I've got it!! Buy a dry snorkel with purge. Break it down into the two main parts, the mouthpiece, and the main tube with dry cap. Now, buy a float, a hookah hose, and a one-way flowing diaphram. Hook the tube part of the mouthpiece section to the oneway diaphram and the bottom of the hose to that so that when you hook everything up, you draw in air through the hose, and exhale out the purge valve in the snorkel. If not, there will be too much dead air in the hose(C02). attach the hose to the snorkel tube, and attach that to the float. Voila! Surface air that is not compressed for whatever depth you make the hose.

stevetim:
I've got it!! Buy a dry snorkel with purge. Break it down into the two main parts, the mouthpiece, and the main tube with dry cap. Now, buy a float, a hookah hose, and a one-way flowing diaphram. Hook the tube part of the mouthpiece section to the oneway diaphram and the bottom of the hose to that so that when you hook everything up, you draw in air through the hose, and exhale out the purge valve in the snorkel. If not, there will be too much dead air in the hose(C02). attach the hose to the snorkel tube, and attach that to the float. Voila! Surface air that is not compressed for whatever depth you make the hose.

Say Hello to Darwin when you see him.

stevetim:
Uh-huh. Riiiiiiight. Someone slept through the water pressure compensation explanation of how regulators work. But hey, go ahead, try it. You won't be able to inhale any, at all....this idea does not work.

teknitroxdiver:
Uh-huh. Riiiiiiight. Someone slept through the water pressure compensation explanation of how regulators work. But hey, go ahead, try it. You won't be able to inhale any, at all....this idea does not work.
He's a swimmer, not a diver. He wants to swim a "lap or two" underwater, not dive deep where the pressure wouldn't allow it. I never mentioned anything about a regulator in the idea. Looks like someone slept through the first post and mine?

stevetim:
He's a swimmer, not a diver. He wants to swim a "lap or two" underwater, not dive deep where the pressure wouldn't allow it. I never mentioned anything about a regulator in the idea. Looks like someone slept through the first post and mine?
No. I was using the example of how a regulator compensates for increasing water pressure to show you why this wouldn't work. You can even sample it without rigging all that up: just submerge until just the very tip of your snorkel is under. Gets hard to breath, doesn't it? Now extrapolate that in your mind and you will see how it would become an issue 3-4 feet underwater.

You won't be able to breathe through a tube that long, period. Even if you could, any tube longer than around 19 inches starts running the risk of carbon dioxide buildup and oxygen depletion due to rebreathing the same "dead air" over and over again. There's a reason that there aren't any five foot long snorkles hanging on the wall at your LDS...

It's absolutely amazing how hard people work to get a Darwin award.

chrispete:
You won't be able to breathe through a tube that long, period. Even if you could, any tube longer than around 19 inches starts running the risk of carbon dioxide buildup and oxygen depletion due to rebreathing the same "dead air" over and over again. There's a reason that there aren't any five foot long snorkles hanging on the wall at your LDS...

It's absolutely amazing how hard people work to get a Darwin award.

You missed the part of my post about dead air apparently.

3 foot snorkel?

Okay seriously so where can I get a 18 inch snorkel? are they common?

Also people are talking about a dry snorkel, is there a wet snorkel too? Whats the difference?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom