Does anything like this exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metomeya:
3 foot snorkel?

Okay seriously so where can I get a 18 inch snorkel? are they common?

Also people are talking about a dry snorkel, is there a wet snorkel too? Whats the difference?
I dunno about an 18 incher

As for the wet/dry. A dry snorkel has some device to help keep water out. For example, one brand is compared to a nuclear cooling tower because of it's large, bulky float system at the top. (Kinda like a float in a toilet: water comes up, float comes up, float stops the water flow)...others have a S-curving channel to help keep the water out. A 'wet' snorkel would be just your average J-curve snorkel with an open top.

Okay seriously so where can I get a 18 inch snorkel? are they common?

No, They don't work. Everyone who makesthem has come to the same conclusion. That is
1) Dead air volume needs to be minimised
2) They need to be long enough to be out of the water but no need to be longer.

Also people are talking about a dry snorkel, is there a wet snorkel too?

Some have silly gadgets attached to them so water will not enter the snorkle when it is under water. These are called "dry".

When you are thinking about doing something that most people don't do either you are onto something new and creative or there is good reason people don't do it. Like painting over the windshield on your car or trying to swim with a 3 foot snorkle. People just don't do either of these for one of the above reasons.

Pull your snorkle out and measure it - from mouthpiece to the end, following airflow, will be around 16-18 inches. Sorry to ruin your day Meto, but you have to count the entire airflow route, not just the "tube" portion. It comes back down to buying a snorkle and doing it the way that everyone else does it unless you want to get SCUBA certified...

Back
Top Bottom