Does anyone use a Scuba Pro STAB jacket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredGarvin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Its been a long time since I purchased a BC. I see most now use a "wing" design which seems best for horizontal swim position. Does anyone still use a stab jacket B.C.? Particularly a ScubaPro. model, perhaps a relatively new one. If so why? Is there any benefit to it?

Garv

I use(d) one. The main advantage is the throw it on and go aspect. No shoulder webbing to cinch. I also always prefered the right shoulder dump, and the outside butt dump, as opposed to having to manipulate an inflator hose to vent air from the BC. A lot of wings don't come with pull dumps on the corrugated hose, and they all seem to have the butt dumps on the inside of the wings which makes it hard to vent. And I have never seen one with a shoulder dump. (When I say wings, I mean the dedicated separate bladder type rather than the wing style BC's.

And they (the SP STAB Jacket) always had ridiculous amount of lift which is really useful for using them as a swimming float during long surface swims. As in take the jacket off, fully inflate it and ride on top of it.

(that said I mostly dive a harness and rear bladder, for the d rings. When I used a SP classic, I had to mount D-Rings on the tank cam bands to clip stuff off.)

Last edited:
Yes, I use one. It's now called the Scubapro Classic Sport. I use it because it's simple, extremely streamlined (more so than any other BC, including BP/W, I've ever seen, and very sturdy. It is, IMO, the best BC on the market today.

I have been diving with a Scubapro BC for 19 years. Good stuff. Just keep it and the rest of your gear out of the sun and they should last a long time. Never had a reason to shop for a new BC since. The BP/W might be interesting but I already have my trim worked out with the stab jacket.

Go with ScubaPro, you will not regret it.
I use the GlidePlus model, it is weight intergrated. I love it!!!

I started diving with a Scubapro Buoyancy Control Pack which was basically one of the original BP/wings, then went to a Scubapro Stab jacket when I wore my BCP out and could not find another one. I went back to back inflates and then BP wings when they again became tendy and available as more people got into technical diving. The SP stab jacket works fine, but it says a lot that I preferred the BP wing arrangement whenever possible. They are so much more stable in the water and are much more streamlined than even a comparatively streamlined jacket jike the Scubapro.

Its been a long time since I purchased a BC. I see most now use a "wing" design which seems best for horizontal swim position. Does anyone still use a stab jacket B.C.? Particularly a ScubaPro. model, perhaps a relatively new one. If so why? Is there any benefit to it?

Garv

I had some free time, so I was surfing on SB when I found this recent thread.

I love my SP Stab Jacket! My first BC was an orange Stab Jacket (the "taco pocket" model) I purchased c. 1987. Thoroughly loved to wear it when diving in the Midwest US freshwater lakes and in the Cayman Islands. I even completed my cavern and basic cave certification training c. 1988 in Ginnie Springs FL using it (with a Y-valve on a single SP 78 cf ft cylinder, and a 5 ft long hose worn "wrapped" in the Hogarthian/DIR style long before either of these terms was invented or at least widely known). And I used this BC when I first started diving with doubles.

I replaced this BC with a larger Stab Jacket c. 1993 when I was dry suit diving in the Great Lakes. I needed a larger size to comfortably accommodate the additional bulk of the dry suit. This "new" Stab Jacket is the "double black" model. I would have preferred high-vis orange, but SP had ceased offering it at that time (probably because this much safer color was no longer fashionable).

I still own this "new" Stab Jacket and use it when single tank diving. In fact, I prefer to use it more than my backplate/harness/singles-wings (when single tank diving)--except when I need to need to carry along either a deco cylinder, buddy bottle, or canister light. Incidentally, I purchased this "new" Stab Jacket after I had been diving doubles with BP/harness/wings for about two years. (I've never gotten comfortable using a single tank with today's BP/harness/singles-wings; I've always found that the stand-off makes this kit simply too unwieldy!)

I've never understood why so many SB members seem to denigrate the SP Stab Jacket. I'll never give mine up. (Or my AIR II attached to it, for that matter.)

FWIW.

I think this is the only thread I have ever read where I disagree with DA Aquamaster. I find the Stab Jacket to be the MOST stable in all in water positions especially at the surface. If the jacket fits well then it is the most streamlined buoyancy option. Simple on and off with no fuss. I think it is the best BC all around. The newer ones had D-rings which I appreciate. I am not much of a fan of integrated weights at least not for a substantial amount of weight. Scubapro stopped offering the non-integrated Stab jacket in the USA and I think that is a huge mistake. They are the best option for training providing great stability and comfort at the surface while under instruction. The construction of the jackets were of top quality and held up great under training use (abuse). I hope they bring the non-integrated version back! When using a stab jacket you are limited in terms of attachments / D-rings. I had always used rings and clips on my weight belt and that mostly made up for it, the newest stab jackets do have some solid D-rings however.
I also like the the backplate / wing style of BCD. My biggest regard for this style comes from having more of your chest front free and having more D-rings that may be positioned as I wish. Horizontal stability is as good as the stab jacket in my opinion but no better; if you are well over weighted the wings may perform better horizontally but that is not my weighting method. In all other positions I find the Stab jacket more stable.

Scubapro stopped offering the non-integrated Stab jacket in the USA and I think that is a huge mistake. ... I hope they bring the non-integrated version back!

+1

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I thought I would add that I recently purchased Scubapros latest Stablizer (stab) jacket the "Classic unlimited". I had misgivings about this at first because I am not a big fan of integrated weights, at least not when more than 8-10lbs is needed. Anyway, since they no longer offer the "sport" non-integrated version I purchased their top of the line Stab. I was concerned that it would be bulky due to the weight pockets, ruining the streamlined fit. I am happy to say that I was wrong to this regard. The jacket is still stream lined, the weight pockets are easily dispensed with leaving additional pockets for your SPG etc... D-rings are strong & plenty, build quality is higher than any other BC I have donned to date. The material seems bullet proof, albeit a bit stiff but so strong! Lift is very high in the large version at around 60lbs and performs like the older version. it's stability in any diving position is great. It is a bit heavy at 10lbs, removing the weigh pockets takes this down a bit and the cummerbund can also be removed if desired. All in all i am very happy with this BC but still wish they would re-release a non-integrated version. This version however is heavier duty than the sport (double coated neoprene bladder), has a few nice comfort features, can be used non-integrated and is designed with streamlining in mind. Honestly, for me this BC is a great fit for the majority of my dives, if I may be on the surface for any length of time I consider it a MUST! When properly weighted and for me that means that I "weight out" as if I am diving WITHOUT a BC (may add an extra 1 lb or 2). I have so little air in the bc during the course of the dive that it is one of the most streamlined rigs i could have. At the surface I am as comfortable and stable as can be. IMO, too many people dive like they are submarines or floating cranes, relying on their BC's (wings too!) far too much. I believe that one should be weighted for NO BC plus a pound. This allows you to take full advantage of available lift if needed and you will be more stream lined during the dive as the bladder will have little if any air in it. When diving a backplate & wing you will find that less air will be needed to float on the surface reducing or eliminating the dreaded face forward force commonly applied by winged bladders on the surface. Using just enough weight makes for a better diving experience over all.

Back
Top Bottom