Does anyone know of a LDS in NE Ohio or western PA that banks EANx 32?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wmspdi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The LDS in Cranberry, Pa where I was getting my premixed NITROX 32 just closed with no indication of when, or if, they will re-open in another location. They were about 45 min from my home and filled my tanks while I waited. This leaves me searching for another fill station, and I am trying avoid the shops that are mixing PP.

The problem is not maintaing O2 clean tanks but that most of these shops are over an hour drive each way, and they all require that you leave your tanks and pick them up a few days later. That's 4 to 5 hours in the car for Nitrox fills. The "local" shops don't fill NITROX due to "lack of demand vs cost". In short I am looking for a NITROX fill station between western Cleveland, the Akron area, or western Pittsburgh that fills NITROX using banked gases, or membrain separation. My only other option is quit NITROX or take a blender's course and brew my own. Any info would be helpful.

Put your own O2 in the tanks and find a closer air compressor. One thing easy to find in Ohio should be any type of bulk industrial gas you could ever want.

I am thinking about taking the blender course. I have found the few places I have looked at are requiring that you work for a LDS. I'm just trying to exhaust the easy alternatives first.

Attn Forum Moderator- after thinking about it this thread might be better in the "tank & valves" forum, but I can not figure out how to move it there.

Hmmm...bummer. Well how far are you from Gilboa?

wmspdi:
The LDS in Cranberry, Pa where I was getting my premixed NITROX 32 just closed with no indication of when, or if, they will re-open in another location. They were about 45 min from my home and filled my tanks while I waited. This leaves me searching for another fill station, and I am trying avoid the shops that are mixing PP.

The problem is not maintaing O2 clean tanks but that most of these shops are over an hour drive each way, and they all require that you leave your tanks and pick them up a few days later. That's 4 to 5 hours in the car for Nitrox fills. The "local" shops don't fill NITROX due to "lack of demand vs cost". In short I am looking for a NITROX fill station between western Cleveland, the Akron area, or western Pittsburgh that fills NITROX using banked gases, or membrain separation. My only other option is quit NITROX or take a blender's course and brew my own. Any info would be helpful.

Ocean Odyssey has not closed their doors for good. Conrad's rental contract came due and they wanted something like triple the amount. I was in last week before they closed and he told me that they had 2 places they were looking at moving into, however he would have to see which one was most feasible in price and alterations that would need to be made.

With that said, check out Splash Water Sports (www.splashws.com) located Pittsburgh on Banksville Rd. My best friend is the general manager there and will be by tonight for a beer so I will ask him what they bank, but I am pretty sure it is 36, but no issue for them to drop it to 32. Ocean Odyssey and Splash work closely together and I'm sure that they are the shop that Conrad would point you to until he gets his new shop opened. If you have any further questions, let me know.

wmspdi:
I am thinking about taking the blender course. I have found the few places I have looked at are requiring that you work for a LDS. I'm just trying to exhaust the easy alternatives first.

Attn Forum Moderator- after thinking about it this thread might be better in the "tank & valves" forum, but I can not figure out how to move it there.

I offer this course and you do NOT have to work for a shop. In most cases, candidates are just like you and are blending their own gas at home. If you are interested, I have a class scheduled for March 25 and 26 in Columbus. Call me at 614-638-0432 or email.

Thanks,
Chris
COVCI

COVCI:
I offer this course and you do NOT have to work for a shop. In most cases, candidates are just like you and are blending their own gas at home. If you are interested, I have a class scheduled for March 25 and 26 in Columbus. Call me at 614-638-0432 or email.

Thanks,
Chris
COVCI

WMSPDI...

I have no dealings with COVCI on classes but they were quick to help resolve a low pressure inflator valve issue I had on my Oxycheq wing and I will definitely give them my business again.

The only down side to blending your own gas is buying the whips and so forth, however, with the high cost of gasoline and travel time, it might be worth it. I am sure that Splash will help you out while Conrad is getting his new shop ready, but even I have thought about taking the different blending courses for Nitrox and Trimix. Either way, I think you'll be covered and don't have to give up Nitrox diving.

Daryl

COVCI:

Thanks,
Chris
COVCI

I mark it on my PDA though... Do you have any plan to open the class in Indy area?
We are all dead here, man....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom