Does anyone feel that culling invasive lionfish is a bad thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses so far

I don't disagree with the practice, but I was informed during my last trip to Grand Cayman in May that eels are becoming much more aggressive. Altering behavior with lionfish culling and subsequent feeding is one angle.

lionfish spearing practices on Grand Cayman (where I work) is regulated by the Department of Environment (DoE). The idea to feed speared lionfish to other predators was proved damaging and therefore prohibited some time ago. Since then the behavior you mention in the eels has started drifting back to how it used to be.

So people who have replied so far generally don't mind the act of spearing lionfish but are more concerned with what happens afterwards.

Respectlfully Frank,
I completely disagree with the totality of your statement.
I certainly agree with a large portion of your statement.
Just look at the body count that we are getting in the line fish tournaments off of Broward and Palm Beach counties. The numbers "per team" are one third, and one half, of what they were just three and four years ago.
Here locally where I live we are giving our reefs, and their prey fish some breathing room.
Of course Frank,
you will not let me come on your boat and prove otherwise,
so you're just going to have to take my word for it.
*snicker*

Chug
Likes Key Weird for only a few days at a time.
You have to come up with a new reason. With all due respect back, we see them only occasionally in the Dry Tortugas, nothing like 3 or 4 years ago. They aren't hunted there. Hunting is not having an effect on the lionfish population.

My question to you is if you feel that divers culling lionfish is a bad thing, can you please offer me an insight as to why?My intention is not to create an argument, I am just curious to hear an angle on this issue that I may not have previously considered.

They cull horses, don't they?

Because they don't taste as good as tomatoes, or rats?

I got nothing against horse meat, but they cull them because they are invasive species and they eat all of the damn hay.

What's your position on rats and tomatos?

---------- Post added November 1st, 2015 at 05:43 PM ----------

I got nothing against horse meat, but they cull them because they are invasive species and they eat all of the damn hay.

What's your position on rats and tomatoes?

What's your position on rats and tomatos?

I'm quite fond of tomatoes, fresh off the vine is best, with a touch of Tony Chacherie's seasoning and maybe a bit of basalmic glaze. I've not had rat, but I imagine skinned and well cooked it would be a bit like rabbit. I have nothing against eating rat. I'd like a big one, though. My wife had a pet rat. I'm not sure she would let me eat it.

I know why people say that. It's because they are referring to the individual fish having to suffer, because of a stupid human mistake. The whole argument is based on each fish being an individual, who has an individual right to not be killed, just because some stupid human brought them here. It's not the fish's fault they are here, therefore the fish should not have to suffer because of that. The fish themselves have done nothing wrong. They're completely innocent, etc, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom