Does anyone carry back up SPG / computer or any other gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I added a backup 2" Highland SPG, as shown here:
Dropbox - 2in Highland .JPG

Also SUUNTO Cobra2 is actually my backup computer, just in case my SUUNTO D4 is caput on a liveaboard in the middle of nowhere or I lose it (e.g., wrist band breaks & it sinks to the bottom of the sea) or forget to wear it when I jump into the water.

If my Cobra2 is caput, I have the SPG to check the tank pressure & it requires no battery. Also I can compare the pressure readings of both Cobra2 & the SPG while diving. So does the dive profile of the Cobra2 & D4, to make sure I don't run into DECO.

I now also carry a spare mask. In my rookie days, I have a bad habit of putting my mask on my forehead after a dive. During one of surface interval (between dives) I had a dire need to go pee, so I jumped into the water from the dive boat. That's the end of my mask. It's in the bottom of sea, some where in Mnemba Atoll, Zanzibar. Since then, I lower it down to around my neck during surface interval.

Last edited:
Why on earth would you keep your mask on in any manner during a surface interval lasting more than a minute or two? There's nothing wrong with MOF while you're surfaced for a few moments in calm water. Extended surface intervals on a boat are a good time to clean and adjust things like masks and weights, not continue wearing them. If they cannot be safely stowed, hold them. A full equipment check is mandatory when returning to the water after a typical surface interval.

I use a Gekko computer as a backup for my SPG, the reverse of the usual primary/secondary protocol. it makes more sense and keeps you focused on what you are doing.

My surface interval is usually about an hour on the boat or on a beach.

I had an old bad habit of put my mask on my forehead when I got to the surface. By the time I got on the boat, took off my BCD, fins, etc., I forgot that dang mask was still sitting on my forehead, a few minutes later, when I jumped back into the water to relieve myself. Had I put it down around my neck, I would have removed it or at least it would have stayed on my neck when I climbed back up to the boat.

Last edited:
My surface interval is usually about an hour on the boat or on a beach.

I had an old bad habit of put my mask on my forehead when I got to the surface. By the time I got on the boat, took off my BCD, fins, etc., I forgot that dang mask was still sitting on my forehead, a few minutes later, when I jumped back into the water to relieve myself. Had I put it down around my neck, I would have removed it or at least it would have stayed on my neck when I climbed back up to the boat.
Mask fully on and regulator in place until you get to the boat is basic safety. I've been diving for 50 years and have never lost a mask. Recently I've been cleaning out a lot of junk so I can move. I found masks so old they were museum pieces. They brought back memories, but you have to be ruthless.

spare mask , scuba diving watch as a computer backup (like a Citizen duplex) save a dive kit consisting of computer batteries, O rings, spare fin strap, mask strap, etc

Learnt the hard way. Most of my diving experiences were in calm, flat sea surface, but after an experience of getting into the boat during a rough sea, all the gears are now in place, including mask, until I'm in the boat.

Reactions: D_B
Primary computer AI Oceanic VT3, backup Oceanic Geo2 and a SPG. I've had this configuration for 5 years, have not needed the backup to date. No spare mask, I've only been diving 46 years, but have never lost a mask either. I've never fallen off the ladder or boat while boarding after a dive, but always keep my mask and regulator in place in case there's a first time. I often dive in pretty rough seas

I don't normally carry a spare mask or computer, but would for any dive involving required deco.

I always have a spare computer (sometimes two) on me when I dive. Learned that lesson years ago when the battery on my Aladin Nitrox Pro gave out while indicated 37% remaining battery life. I've never carried a spare SPG unless you include the one on my pony bottle. Fortunately mine is pretty accurate. No pockets in my harness so I don't carry a spare mask. Only "needed" one once when a mask strap broke, but I put the strap inside my hood so the mask didn't fall away and simply pressed my camera against the mask to hold it in place until I surfaced.

I remembered one liveaboard kept switching between Nitrox & air due to their limited Nitrox refilling capacity/ time. A few times I forgot to switch my dive computer dive plan from 32 to 21 Nitrox, so I ended up leaving D4 in Nitrox & the Cobra 2 on air.

Back
Top Bottom